Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my iPhone or iPad see me 5G network?

My internet provider gives me two wifi networks with my modem/router: one regular and the other 5G. Both my iPhone 6 plus (1.5 years old) and my iPad Air (1 year old) rarely see my 5G network, even when they are right beside the modem/router. They will pick up other 5G networks in my apartment building, on occasion, but rarely mine. My MacBook Air sees the 5G network, no problem. Why is that?

Thank you,

Ian

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:20 AM

iOS devices will connect to the stronger signal with a dual band router. If you want to force it to connect to the 5 GHz side you should change the SSID for the 5GHz settings to something different, then go to Settings/WiFi, "forget" the 2.6 GHz connection and connect to the 5 GHz. You will need to do this for all devices you want to use 5 GHz. For example, if your router's SSID is "ABCDE" go into the router's control panel and change the 5 GHz side only to "ABCDE5". You can leave the password the same for both, or change it; that doesn't matter. In your iOS settings tap on the i next to the 2.6 GHz connection and tap "forget this network." Then connect to ABCDE5 and enter the passcode.

One reason it defaults to 2.6 GHz is the 5 GHz signal does not carry as far as 2.6 GHz, so 2.6 GHz will usually be stronger.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 8:20 AM in response to Ian Chamandy1

iOS devices will connect to the stronger signal with a dual band router. If you want to force it to connect to the 5 GHz side you should change the SSID for the 5GHz settings to something different, then go to Settings/WiFi, "forget" the 2.6 GHz connection and connect to the 5 GHz. You will need to do this for all devices you want to use 5 GHz. For example, if your router's SSID is "ABCDE" go into the router's control panel and change the 5 GHz side only to "ABCDE5". You can leave the password the same for both, or change it; that doesn't matter. In your iOS settings tap on the i next to the 2.6 GHz connection and tap "forget this network." Then connect to ABCDE5 and enter the passcode.

One reason it defaults to 2.6 GHz is the 5 GHz signal does not carry as far as 2.6 GHz, so 2.6 GHz will usually be stronger.

Feb 17, 2016 1:19 PM in response to Ian Chamandy1

If your phone is not seeing the 5GHz network then either your phone is broken or your router has MAC filtering enabled, and your phone is not on the Approved list. All iPhones since the 5 support the 5 GHz band. You can try going to Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings. And try rebooting your router. But if neither of those fix it take it to an Apple store for evaluation.

Why doesn't my iPhone or iPad see me 5G network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.