Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Alarm no sound - ongoing, not reliable

Why is it that the built in Apple Clock continuously has problems not working - after you wake up late, because the alarm did not sound, you can see on the alrm is active, asking if you want to snooze, but there is no sound, the voulume is on and turned up, but no sound. This is such a basic function that should just work.

The "fixes" I see are to each night, close all other apps, or turn on and back on the iphone, or delete all alarms, then create a new one each night - not feasible fixes to a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place. I have had intermittent problems for years with this issue with the iphone clock's alarm not sounding.

Why does Apple not give a response themselves, why do they not fix the issue?

I am looking at 3rd party alarms, knowing the risk that I don't accidentally close the application. Any recommendations?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:21 AM

11 replies

Apr 2, 2017 3:18 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Interesting way to address someone working to help you. No where did I indicate voodoo troubleshooting, I quoted the user troubleshooting steps from the iPhone User Guide.

Rockey called them that, because they are voodoo steps. Trying things that should hot have any impact on the function, and yet may magically fix it, I would also call voodoo troubleshooting.

And as far as it deciding not to work, Meg and I have both indicated that it works just fine, however not on your device. Which means that you need to troubleshoot your device.

I've had this problem for many years now. Had it on the iPhone 4, and now on the iPhone SE. The alarm clock is just not reliable, and I was late for work too many times. Recently, I was awake enough to notice that the display showed a ringing alarm, but it wasn't making any sound.

No where in the user troubleshooting is Bluetooth mentioned, so I'm not sure who is performing voodoo here.

This is actually not a voodoo step, but an intelligent one. Rockey even explained the possible relation to the alarm clock. You seem to think of the user manual as the "holy grail" of troubleshooting. Yet it cannot possibly cover every solution to every problem.

If you expect every thing you ever buy to work perfectly, expect that you should never have to do any trouble shooting because things should just work, you are in for a lifetime of disappointment and frustration. Good luck with that.

The alarm clock is a basic and simple feature, and its reliability is a crucial aspect of its functionality. Expecting it to work reliably is not too much to ask in my opinion. The only things the user needs to make sure are 1. Full battery (or charger) 2. alarm is enabled 3. alarm is set for the correct time and not excluded from the day of week. Every other factor that has an effect is a bug. Especially which sound is selected, whether there are other apps running, or whether it's an old installation.

If something is not working then it's either a user error, or a bug.

Troubleshooting when it's a user error may lead to a working function, alright.

Troubleshooting when it's a bug may do two things. It may lead to a (possibly unacceptable) workaround, or it may help pin down the bug that would help a developer fix it, but not lead to an immediate solution for the user.

In this case, I think it's clearly a bug.

Feb 8, 2016 8:30 AM in response to serockey

If you are looking from a response here from Apple that is not going to happen. That was explained in the TOS you agreed to when you joined the forum. This is a user to user support forum.

Yes, this is a basic function and I've not experienced any problems with it. I have several repeat alarms set to remind me of things to do at work, and even when the device is set with the Mute switch, they all will function. They are set to repeat weekly on multiple days of the week, I.e. Monday & Wednesday, and then some others, all working. As far as why yours has this intermittent problem, one would need to troubleshoot the issue. Since this is intermittent, it would be hard to "fix the issue", as it would be hard to diagnose. What troubleshooting have you tried? Please describe what user troubleshooting steps you have attempted. User troubleshooting steps include restart, reset, restore to backup, restore to factory. Test after each step. If you restore to factory, test for a period of time without adding any content back. If the alarm works, then restore your data by syncing back individually, not using your backup. It could be that you have a corrupt file or data in your backup.

If you wish to test a 3rd party alarm, you are welcome to do so, but I would be hesitant that it may be unreliable to, if there is an issue with your iOS software.

Feb 8, 2016 9:36 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Chris, Thanks for your input,

I too use multiple repeat alarms, one for weekdays and one for weekends. I agree, the problem is that it is intermittent. The settings I have observed are - bluetooth on or off doesn't make a difference (I was wondering if sound was going to another device), I haven't been able to pin down any other open apps that could be interrupting. Today there was no sound, i snoozed the alarm, then after looking at settings, other apps, after several snoozes, the alarm started sounding, I didin't close any other apps or turn off any services between the time where there were no sounds and sounds started happening - just checked settings. This has happened on both my 5 ad 5s with multiple versions of ios

Rockey

Feb 8, 2016 9:41 AM in response to serockey

Well, as I said, I've not experienced this behavior. It seems to me you indicate the only troubleshooting you have done is to turn Bluetooth on/off? Since this has occurred across multiple versions of iOS, it leads me back to the backup data question. Have you attempted to change the tone used? I know you indicated to Meg that you do not use music but a built-in alarm sound. Try changing it and see if that changes it. If not, then you need to try out the troubleshooting steps that I provided earlier.

Feb 9, 2016 8:18 PM in response to serockey

serockey wrote:

Chris,

Your voodoo steps of troubleshooting ............ no need for you to reply.

Rockey

Interesting way to address someone working to help you. No where did I indicate voodoo troubleshooting, I quoted the user troubleshooting steps from the iPhone User Guide. And as far as it deciding not to work, Meg and I have both indicated that it works just fine, however not on your device. Which means that you need to troubleshoot your device. No where in the user troubleshooting is Bluetooth mentioned, so I'm not sure who is performing voodoo here.

Apple Alarm no sound - ongoing, not reliable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.