Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBA: Key does not react always to key press

I'm using a MacBookAir from 2012 (I guess the model is mid 2012 or late 2012, model A1466) and I've a little bit trouble with a specific key: the " + "/" * " key** only works intermediate. This means that nothing happens if I press it. When I repat it or hold it down after a few seconds the key press is emitted and then it works fine but if I don't use it for some time (maybe 30 seconds or so) it starts with the same behaviour (long press needed and so on). I've this issue now for 3 - 4 days.

So my questions are:

1. Is this problem known? (Possibly not ...)
  2. How can I test if this is a software problem (I guess not) or a hardware error arising form wear?
  3. How to fix it?

P.S.: I looked around the Internet quite a bit and most topics on this deal with sticky keys. But in my case there (should not) is no sticky material in the key or it is not sticky.

** I've a German keyboard; on [1] the same key is the " ( "/" ) "/" ] " (I guess this is the US keyboard layout). But the exact key might not be of special importance.

[1] http://i.stack.imgur.com/zZu1e.jpg

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:28 AM

Do the SMC reset first:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

I have a SwissGerman keyboard; on my keyboard the + key is in the topline left with the 1.

Is your + key on the bottom row?

It may also be that you have ever spilled coffee or other on your keyboard?

Can you give the "Condition" and "Cycle count" of the battery: in Applications->Utilities->SystemInformation click "Power" in the left panel, then in the right panel you find it under "Battery Information:"

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 3:28 AM in response to 0o52

Do the SMC reset first:

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

I have a SwissGerman keyboard; on my keyboard the + key is in the topline left with the 1.

Is your + key on the bottom row?

It may also be that you have ever spilled coffee or other on your keyboard?

Can you give the "Condition" and "Cycle count" of the battery: in Applications->Utilities->SystemInformation click "Power" in the left panel, then in the right panel you find it under "Battery Information:"

Feb 8, 2016 9:10 AM in response to Lexiepex

ad 1.) Resetting SMC: I'll try that but currently I'm running a program which I can't abort until it's finshed ;-)

ad 2.): [2] displays my keyboard; the key is right to the "Ü".

ad 3.): I don't drik cofee :-) but I never put anything liquid or sticky on my keyboard.

ad 4.): The battery information are:

Anzahl der Zyklen: 162 (Cycle count: 162)

Zustand: Batterie warten (Condition: Maintain battery)

Yes, half a year ago or so the message "Maintain battery" appeared. But since this time I never noticed any performance loss of the battery (it runs still up to 6 hours). I need my notebook on a daily bases so I won't go into the AppleStore as prosed and let my MBA there. Instead I plan to fix it myself by buying a new battery. But since a new original battery for a MBA would cost me over 100€ I thought that I would wait a little bit if it gets worse. But luckily nothing happend until now. So I'll not do anything against it.

[2] http://www.notebookcheck.com/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_1120086_Kopie_92590e042c. jpg

Feb 8, 2016 11:13 AM in response to 0o52

1. OK, do it when you are ready, read or write down how to do it.

2. OK, it could be a bloating battery that presses the underside of the keyboard, with that model year that happens "often".

3. OK

4. You have to replace the battery as soon as possible. The warning about the battery is serious!.

Use an Apple battery. I have heard that the Newertech batteries are rather good, all other brands are rubbish. Newertech is sold by Amazon.

The performance of the battery is not important, these batteries can bloat and damage the electronics immediately above it. I have seen it often. The first indications are a mouse that does not react to the trackpad and "lives its own life" or keys that don't work anymore or type a letter without being pressed.

Be quick before more damage is done.

PS the Swiss German keyboard is rather different, on almost all other computers here in the family we use the international english.

Lex

Feb 8, 2016 11:45 AM in response to Lexiepex

ad 2.) and 4.): what do you mean by "bloating battery"? I googled it and ... pretty impressive in a respecting manner. So I'll open it and have a look inside. I guess if the batteries expand I'll see it. But in general: what damages can occur from this besides deformation and therefore demoliton of the device? Can it catch fire by accident or cause serious damage to its environment?

And another question: what is the rate of the battery expansion? Because for the next week from today I'm writing my final exams at the university and I've definitly no time for any side story like this ...

Feb 9, 2016 12:46 AM in response to 0o52

There is almost no space between the keyboard a(nd electronics) and the battery, so even if you do not see it swollen it may press against the keyboards electronics.

A bloated (swollen) battery, can go leaking which is disastrous for the mac.

I think I have heard of a battery taking fire, but that is a very little chance.

You learn more at

http://www.batteryuniversity.eu/DE_index_1000.html

http://batteryuniversity.com

Your last question: If I were you, I'd forget about the battery and do the exams very good, and think about this battery afterwards.

Lex

Feb 9, 2016 1:30 AM in response to Lexiepex

So I opend my MBA (pretty simple with the right tools) and had a deep and exhaustive look inside. I even took the battery out and inspected it. The battery has its normal size and did not expand until now (the black plastic frame had no defects and nothing was bigger than the outline of the frame). So I'm really lucky ... Toi, toi, toi (***dreimal auf Holz klopfen***) ... :-)

From the location of the battery and the fact that my battery hasn't expaneded (or not so much in case it expanded already) I would assume that my problem might not come from this issue since the key is not over the battery; is way more up. I totall agree that the mouse will have strange behaviour since it's right over the battery. So I guess it's either a software problem (but why should it arise just now?) or wear of the key which might be the right guess since manufacturing is not always constant quality.

I also resetted my SMC controller and up to now the key works fine. But we/I have no confirmation that the error is gone.

@"do the exams very good": so that's my goal, too. But it's simpler to say this than acutally doint this ... I'm working pretty hard on it ... ;-)

Feb 9, 2016 3:37 AM in response to Lexiepex

Okay two final questions from me:

1. From where do I get a genuine Apple battery? A friend of mine made some really bad experience with a remake battery so I want to use original parts. The best I could find around the web are [1] and [2], but I think both are not original Apple ones.
  2. Is it worth to migrate fom OS X 10.9.4 to the newest version? Does my system become slower since my hardware is "pretty old" and the new Mac OS is pretty new?

[1] http://www.amazon.de/Lavolta®-Batterie-Notebook-020-7379--Li-Polymer/dp/B0119UOM XK

[2] https://www.cyberport.de/lmp-batterie-macbook-air-13-2-generation-von-07-2011-06 -2013--1B17-00J_10544.html

Feb 9, 2016 4:38 AM in response to 0o52

Modelnumber A1466: you have the MBA 5,2 13".

I have no information for Lavolta, nor about LMP. So far I have only seen some good experiences with Newertech. And a lot of very bad experiences about other non-Apple batteries.

Newertech has a battery for the 13" MBA 2012:

http://www.newertech.com/products/macbook_air_13_2014_battery.php

It costs $99. Which is about to the price of the original Apple battery, But I think that you have Apple do the replacement which will make it expensive (check that with Apple DE). With the right tools it is not difficult at all to do it yourself. Do not cripple the screws.

Amazon.com sells Lavolta, Powerku, Egoway, and dozens of other brands for model A1466, I would not buy those. But they also say to have the original: http://www.amazon.com/Original-Apple-020-7379--020-8143--661-6055/dp/B01117OY3O/ ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1455019023&sr=8-15&keywords=battery+for+apple+macbook+ai r

The price is the same as the NewerTech ! Ideal.

Normally when you order from amazon.com it will come through amazon in your country (de).

quick answer: no.

update to 10.9.5 , there is no reason why your macbookair is slower than a new one.

Upgrading to ElCapitan will not change or make go away issues.

If you think that your mac is slower than before: download the Etrecheck.app from etrecheck.com

run it, post the list here, it will give many details about your mac (anonymous) so that we may see what could cause any issues.

Feb 9, 2016 4:58 AM in response to Lexiepex

@Model number: are you really sure that my model number is A1466 and not A1405? Because when I opened my MBA this morning a took a photo and there you can clearly see the model number A1405. Now I'm confused.

ad 1.): it seems to me very challenging to get a new original battery. The german shops of NewerTech are not very promising and the Amazon link you posted points me to a seller from the US and I don't know what taxes I've to pay ("Einfuhrsteuern") here in good old Germany to get it to me.

ad 2.): there are (luckily) no problems. Besides my battery issue im a 100% satisfied with system quality, speed, performance and others. But I'ld like to upgrade Mac OS and not loose this satisfaction. Therefore I'm asking. It could be that the new OS is optimized for the new processor generation in the MBAs and therefore scale not very good on my older version.

User uploaded file

Feb 9, 2016 6:50 AM in response to 0o52

1. This is the first line of your first message:

"I'm using a MacBookAir from 2012 (I guess the model is mid 2012 or late 2012, model A1466)"

That is what I went on.

The number I see is on the battery A1405 (50Wh, 6700mA), it is not the modelnumber of the Macbookair !! The number of the Macbookair is on the backside (very fine print).

2. to be sure, I prefer the Apple battery (even if they have to replace it), your mac is worth it.

The new OSX is as good or better as the 10.9.5, but there may be some software or "tools" that may be not as compatible. That is why I asked for the etrecheck list.

Go study and have success with your exams.

Then think about this again next week.

Feb 9, 2016 7:07 AM in response to Lexiepex

ad 1.): MBA Model number: A1466 and MBA battery model number: A1405. To get this clear ;-) So I'll look for a matching of both model numbers. But if I take third one of the list from [1] I should be fine.

ad 2.): That's no problem if there is software that is not compatible. I can get around this myself.

@"Go study and have success with your exams."

Yes, Sir. :-)

[1] http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01117OY3O/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition =all&qid=1455019023&sr=8-15

MBA: Key does not react always to key press

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.