Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow AirPlay - Apple TV does not work properly :-(

Hello.

I had a slow airplay problem playing movies, DVDs or any video media at 720p or above on my one year old Apple AirPlay and new Panasonic TV. I went through the problem solving, including restoring and optimizing my Telus Router (which has download speeds of 25mbps and upload of 2.5 mbps) on an Apple Support phone call, and was then advised to take my device to the Richmond Apple, BC Genius Bar (Case ID: 1045139977).

When I arrived they had me down as an Apple Watch problem, and then once they realised it was an Apple TV issue told me (despite what it says on the original packaging - which I still have) that is normal for an Apple TV playing a movie, and you can't stream any video without some jerkiness about every 3 seconds or so. They suggested I use a direct hdmi cable from the laptop, and then tried to upsell me a new Apple TV unit which they said was much better, but "still might have the issue!"

To say I was surprised is an understatement and as a household with 4 iPhones, three Macbooks, and a new Mac Pro, I was appalled by the service level, and up selling tactics employed.

1) If the device won't stream a 720p movie, then marketing it as such is very disingenuous. Is this correct?

2) As the service desk knew this, then why waste my time sending me to a Genius bar apart from to try and sell me another product? They did no diagnostics on the unit other than plugging it in to confirm my issue - and a movie clip ran slow and jerky in the shop with their own TV and router.

In the past I have received good support from Apple, but looks like things are going downhill fast if this is the new business model, and service. :-(

Dr. B.Garrett

Vancouver, BC.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.7), Running Vista

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:54 AM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 9:46 AM in response to BernieG

It sounds more like your network. I have multiple ATVs (gen 2,3,4) and always stream 1080HD content via homeshare/AirPlay without any of the issues you note. Since homeshare/AirPlay use local network the speed from your ISP has zero impact (unless your streaming from outside providers like Netflix, iTunes, etc). There could be local interference I.e. Neighbor, home appliances etc. there could be firewall/router setting that's impacting bonjour. For example, at my cabin I ran into a similar issue every 10-15 minutes, we came to realize it was a water pump on the property line installed by the Forrest Dept. I ended up building an enclosure for the pump with insulation. 5 years later I have not had any recurrence...

FWIW this is a user to user support community - Apple is not here.

Feb 8, 2016 10:00 AM in response to Protodd

Thanks for the reply

Good to know, but then why would I get the same problem in their store? Mind you, lots of interference likely there.

Any suggestions for tweaking my router anyone? Settings below:

Telus Router Basic Settings

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

Basic Settings is used to enable or disable the wireless radio or change wireless security settings.

Wireless Radio

Enable Disable

Select SSID

XXXXX TELUSXXXXX

SSID State

Enabled

SSID Guest

Disabled

SSID Broadcast

Enabled

SSID Name

Security

WPA / WPA2

WPA Type

WPA or WPA2 - Personal

Encryption Type

AES

Security Key Type

Use Custom Key/Passphrase

Medium

Advanced Settings

Top of Form

The modem supports high-speed wireless devices using the 802.11b/g/n protocol. Enable and tune 802.11b/g/n parameters as appropriate.

Compatibility Mode

Compatible Mode (802.11b, 802.11g, and 802.11n) Balanced Mode (802.11n+g only) Performance Mode (802.11n only) Legacy Mode (802.11b+g only) 802.11g only 802.11b only

Channel Width

40 MHz

Control Channel

Lower

MSDU Aggregation

MSDU Aggregation Disabled

MPDU Aggregation

MPDU Aggregation Enabled

WMM

Enable

WMM Power Save

Enable

Channel

Auto Detect 567891011

Re-scan Current Channel: 1

Wireless Power Level

100%

Bottom of Form

WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)

WPS provides an easy and secure way to establish a wireless network by sharing the wireless key between the modem and wireless client.

1. Set the WPS state.

WPS: Enabled

AP PIN: Enabled

2. Click Apply to save changes.

Apply

Connecting a device with WPS AP PIN

Current WPS AP PIN: XXXXXXXXX

Click Generate PIN to generate a new AP PIN:

Generate PIN

Click Restore Default PIN to restore the default AP PIN.:

Restore Default PIN

Connecting a device with WPS PBC or End Device PIN

Push Button Configuration (PBC)

End Device PIN:
Insert End Device PIN:

ConnectConnect must be clicked within 120 seconds on client WPS device.

Wireless MAC Authentication

Limit access to the modem by using the MAC address of specific wireless devices.

1. Select SSID from the pull down menu.

SSID: Antares TELUS0246-2 ALL SSIDs

2. Set MAC authentication state.

Mac Authentication: Disabled

3. Select Allow device list or Deny device list.

Allow device list

Denies all devices except those added in step 4.

Deny device list

Allows all devices except those added in step 4.

4. Enter the MAC address of the wireless LAN device.

Select MAC Address:

Manually Add MAC Address:

Manually Enter

WDS Wireless Distribution System

WDS allows the wireless interconnection of access points via a wireless connection.

Top of Form

1. Set the WDS main base station state.

WDS Main Base Station:

Disabled

2. Click Apply to save your changes.

Bottom of Form

Firewall

The default firewall security level is set to NAT Only. Activating the firewall is optional. When the firewall is activated, security is enhanced, but some network functionality will be lost.

1. Select the WAN PING block mode. When enabled, the modem will not respond to all pings from WAN side.

WAN PING block mode: Enabled

2. Select IP addressing type.

Apply rule to: None

3. Set the Firewall Security Level. NAT Only

Pv6 WAN Settings

IPv6 is the next generation of IP addressing.

1. Set the IPv6 state.

IPv6:

Enabled

2. Select the WAN IPv6 connection protocol.

WAN IPv6 IP Protocol:

DHCPv6

3. Set the WAN IPv6 Addressing Type.

Request PD Only:

Yes

4. Set the WAN IPv6 DNS Server.

IPv6 DNS Type:

Default Servers

Dynamic DNS

Disabled

Cheers

Bernie

Feb 8, 2016 10:05 PM in response to BernieG

Sorry to hear you are unable to correct the issue even with Apple's help.

Just to be clear I understand your setup to be:

Apple laptop playing movie and trying to use Apple's Airplay to display the movie on ATV3?

Using Airplay is a huge burden on the connection since it must continually update the screen from the laptop in real time. It cannot buffer. It taxes the connection.

If you use Apple's HomeShare and play the videos using the laptop as a server, they will buffer and get ahead of the part that is playing. This should improve the situation.

Slow AirPlay - Apple TV does not work properly :-(

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.