Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual band blindness?

Hello All. In the past week I have notice that I no longer have access across the 2.4g and 5g bands. It used to me that regardless of which band a device was connected to, it could see the devices on the other band. For example, I have some older airport expresses that only are 2.4g compatible, but if I was connected to 5g on my iPhone, iPad, Macbook or Mac Mini, I could still see them and stream music to them. Now, if I am connected to 5g on the Macbook or Mac Mini, I can only see the Apple TV I have on the 5g band. In fact, last night I tried to stream a movie from my Mac Mini (connected to 5g) and the ATV (connect to 5g) using home sharing and it kept dropping. I finally switched both the Mac and the ATV to the 2.4g band and it worked. I can certainly try resetting my router or Airport Extreme, but thought I would check out here first as to better be able to trouble-shoot this if it happens again the future. Thanks!

AirPort Express 802.11n (2nd generation)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:45 AM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:38 AM in response to ndurantz

What is the main router? You mention an Extreme; was that a typo??

I can certainly try resetting my router or Airport Extreme

How is the Express connected to the router or extreme??

Wireless extend does have some fun issues on dual band setups. If it is linked by ethernet that is always better.

Also what OS is on the mini as network functionality has gone downhill as we move from Mavericks to El Capo. Sometimes when people do upgrade installs wireless in particular suffers all kinds of issues. Mini can also be problematic in quality of signal you get.

Give us a few screenshots of the setup of the express, showing summary page plus wireless and network tabs.. then we can figure out perhaps a better setup.

Feb 8, 2016 12:51 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yes. That was a typo. I was referring to my modem. I do have an Airport Extreme. And I can attest to there being problems with the mac mini regarding the wireless signal. Drops quite often with 5g, less frequently with 2.4g, but still unstable. I know there was some stuff awhile back about bluetooth keyboards being a problem and such, but good grief, I am not gonna go back to my huge wired USB keyboard cause the Mac Mini has so few USB ports! Anyway, I just pulled up Airport Utility and in 5g, it doesn't even show anything but the internet. All my other devices looks as if they are offline, so I am not sure what screenshots to send. Maybe an example of what you are looking for?

Feb 8, 2016 1:54 PM in response to ndurantz

What I want to see is the whole layout.

I need to know what modem, make and model please? Extreme, what model? Express what models, and how many.

Now you do have an Extreme it appears.. is that working as main router.. if so I need to see it in the airport utility.. the way to get it is plug an ethernet cable from any computer nearby or a laptop directly into it.. and swap the airport utility from wireless to ethernet. (If your laptop has no ethernet buy the Thunderbolt to ethernet adapter)

The other important point is IPv6. The airport utility does not work properly in the computer unless IPv6 is set correctly. Assuming your ISP is not yet using IPv6 then please set the IPv6 on your wireless and ethernet (when used) to link-local only. You can do this in the main router as well assuming it is the extreme.

User uploaded file

With Apple default auto.. it can sometimes work and sometimes fail. Getting rid of auto settings is part of fixing this problem.. as it simply does not always choose the right configuration.

Sorry my screenshots are from a mixture of OS..

First thing is finding the Airports swap to ethernet which is oddly enough hidden under "Other WiFi device"

It seems only an accident would discover this option.. as in fact happened.. It is incredible that apple split the search for airports and gives only wired or wireless connections.. when surely both are needed at the same time.

User uploaded file

Once you can actually get into the utility and produce useful presentation of the layout.. a full network reboot is often the way to trigger life into the system albeit briefly.

Click each item and give me the summary.

User uploaded file

Then click the edit and the network and wireless tabs.

Dual band blindness?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.