Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best SSD For Late-2011 MBP?

As the title states, I'll be in the market to upgrade the speed of my late-2011 MBP. I upgraded the RAM to 16gb, and it made a wonderful difference. I record music on my computer, and I would appreciate a reliable drive with good read/write speeds.

I've looked into the Samsung 850 EVO 500gb drive, read a few reviews and it seems to receive mostly positive responses. Are there any issues with it I should know about, or is there a better drive around the same price?

Also, I read that there are sometimes issues with setting up a new drive from a backup. Can anyone refer me to a good guide that clearly lists the steps to set up a new drive from a backup? I've stuck with OSX 10.9.5 and would like to keep the same setup, just with a faster drive.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 10:16 AM

18 replies

Jan 2, 2017 9:59 AM in response to LoganOath

Hi, I have a late 2011 macbook pro for recording/music production. I had an employee at a local Micro Center store try installing SSD into my computer and it was unsuccesful. Something about it not working with my OS X Yosemite, or failed to boot. I don't know exactly what it was that caused to not work. My engineer is dumbfounded by hearing about this and claims he can install it successfully. Wondering if you did figure out how to install a solid state successfully. Please advise, I'm really hoping to accomplish this so i can get back to making music with a stronger more reliable system set up!!

Jan 2, 2017 10:47 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for responding. I actually don't currently have the SSD as I returned it after the employee failed to install it based off of various reasons that I don't remember and didn't quite understand. I am purchasing a Crucial drive today and plan on trying to install with m engineer who knows a bit more about this process, so Im just doing what i can to prepare with options for troubleshoots, workarounds, in case a standard install fails again based off the same reasons for failure that the Micro center employee provided me...

Jan 2, 2017 12:06 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks very much. Curious if you have an opinion on the difference between these two external drives for recording audio too externally. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T3-Portable-SSD-MU-PT500B/dp/B01AVF6UQQ/ref=lp_30 15429011_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1483385422… or http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StuPro1TB?gclid=CMqBjvLi79ACFRC5wAodPksBv Q

If your not very knowledgable of external drives concerning audio recording/production than disregard. Just determining what my best bet is for recording externally to a drive.

Jan 2, 2017 12:58 PM in response to JayOwen17

JayOwen17 wrote:

If your not very knowledgable of external drives concerning audio recording/production than disregard. Just determining what my best bet is for recording externally to a drive.

That is outside my knowledge zone. I suggest that you start your own discussion on this issue and you may be able to find knowledgeable assistance.

Ciao.

Feb 8, 2016 8:18 PM in response to LoganOath

I use Crucial in my early 2011 MBP. OWC (macsales.com) sells compatible units.

Samsungs are actually posting several issues in these forums ... firmware upgrades are needed to make them fully mac-compatible it seems. Or it could just be that Samsungs sell so many that even small-ccurrence-of-problems appear more often. But I would still go to OWC first if my current Crucial failed today (far too soon, based on all lifetime-estimates). If I just wanted a new one for-grins I would probably either Crucial or OWC.

You can make the transition easier ... download CarbonCopyClone ($40, bombich.com) and an external enclosure or connect kit to copy your current internal to the new SSD. Then do the surgery after the SSD does boot to your satisfaction.

Best SSD For Late-2011 MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.