Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - Operation Not Permitted

Hi,

Over the weekend I rebuilt my MacBook (with El Capitan), and everything looked fine until I tried to run a backup from my external drive to my 2TB Airport Extreme.

even a sudo chown -R <myuserid>:wheel /Volumes/Airport/* gets "Operation not permitted"

I have disabled csrutil and rebooted but I cannot seem to get passed this error.

Is this somekind of ACL issue? I really need to be able to copy from the external drive to the Airport

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 10:33 AM

9 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:13 AM in response to Morph2008

When you attempt to do a Time Machine backup of your external hard drive (attached to your MBP) to AirPort Extreme, what exact error message do you get? Also by "2TB AirPort Extreme" do you mean the 2TB Time Capsule? If so, what is its exact model?

Finally, were you able to run these TM backups without issue before the upgrade to El Capitan?

Feb 8, 2016 11:52 AM in response to Tesserax

Not sure I follow.

Last week (before the rebuild) my OS was El Capitan and I just formatted the SSD and reimaged (so no versioning / protocols) have changed.

There is some kind of permission issue here and everything i try from a Unix level gets kicked into touch - so there has to be ACL (or something) causing this to happen.

Why can I not overwrite Source A -> Airport Dest B ?

Feb 8, 2016 12:12 PM in response to Morph2008

Sorry, I was led to believe that you went from Mavericks to El Capitan as your tagline shows Mavericks for the MBP. Thinking that, I thought that the SMB change may affect either Sync Folders Pro or your scripts.

I'm not sure how I can help as this does not appear to be directly related to Apple networking as you stated that you are both able to copy files and run TM backups without issue.

Feb 8, 2016 12:22 PM in response to Tesserax

I am using two apple products, both were working fine last week until I reformatted and reinstall El Capitan on my MBP

I am not using third party tools when I try and run a sudo chown from a terminal window I get operation not permitted. If I try the same command on the same files on my Western Digital External Hard drive I am able to change the attributes.

In the passed the only way I have resolved this error is to format the Airport and start over, as this takes an incredible amount of time and resource (I dont have) I was trying to find an alternative answer.

How can this not be an apple issue?

Airport Extreme - Operation Not Permitted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.