Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

krabela.com keeps locking up safari

I Keep getting a message that my Mac may have a virus and I should call to solve the issue. Reference to Karbala.com

I can't remove this.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 10:24 AM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:30 AM in response to okiepokez

You may have installed a variant of the "Flashmall" trojan. To remove it, start by backing up all data.

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

Malware is always changing to get around the defenses against it. This procedure works as of now, as far as I know. It may not work in the future. Anyone finding this comment a few days or more after it was posted should look for a more recent discussion, or start a new one.

1. Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/LaunchAgents

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Open

from the contextual menu.* A folder named "LaunchAgents" should open.

In the folder, there may be one or more files with a name that begins in either of the following ways:

com.ShopTool

com.SoftwareUpdater

Move each such file to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator password.

2. Do as in Step 1 with this line:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

3. Log out or restart the computer.

4. Open the Applications folder in the Finder. It may have subfolders with any of these names:

SoftwareUpdater

ShopTool

Move each such subfolder to the Trash. Empty the Trash.

5. From the Safari menu bar, select

Safari Preferences... Extensions

Uninstall all extensions you don't know you need, including one called "SearchTrust," if it's present. If in doubt, remove all of them. None is required for normal operation. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Feb 17, 2016 1:33 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hope someone can help. I bought my Mac last November but had issues with Safari from day one. Its fine for first 20 mins after starting up but then goes into this annoying lock up with beach ball.

So far we have had one check at the shop (Currys) who said to contact Apple

Apple shop told me what to do to clean it up but after a day it was back to normal.

First call to Apple Care did a connection and talked me through a clean up but again one day and lock.

Second call to Apple Care did same and this time tried to load a Malware but the system would not allow, So they loaded another one but this vanished the next day when I started up.

My internet speed is OK and my Windows PC with Chrome works fine.

I want to use the Apple system but the whole idea of getting a mac was to eventually get rid of my MS ones but not so impressed so far.

I know if I make another call they will walk me through it but a waste of time.

Oh yes I have Macafee installed as advised but I can't launch it as the mac system stops it ? Missold perhaps.

Help

Feb 17, 2016 5:59 AM in response to Gudji1

Uninstall McAfee. There are no existing Mac viruses and anti-virus programs tend to interfere with normal computer operations.

McAfee Uninstall Resources is near bottom of the page

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About El Capitan

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan.

krabela.com keeps locking up safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.