Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Junk Mail

This is an observation, not a question. SInce it seems that there is no junk mail filtering on IOS devices like the iPad, why is there a mail folder named Junk and another for Trash. You can just swipe to send mail to the trash but you have to use a two step process to send mail to junk. Then, after you do that, it sits there until you empty the Junk Mail folder Just the same as Trash. So, it would seem that the Junk Mail folder is just a tease or perhaps a loose end Apple forgot to take care of in coding IOS. It does nothing that the Trash folder doesn't do. 😠

iPad

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 10:41 AM

This type of filtering is provided by your email service, not the iPad.

What type of email account is it? Go to their support website and investigate how not filter for spam and junk.

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 10:43 AM in response to Ekimronnoco

> why is there a mail folder named Junk and another for Trash

Those folders are in your mailbox. iOS mail (with iMAP connection) merely accesses your mailbox and shows the content (folders) on the device.

> it sits there until you empty the Junk Mail folder

Some mail providers allow us to setup the duration to keep items in Junk Mail folder before deleting them. I set mine to delete after 14 days. I never look at my Junk Mail folder unless I'm expecting an email that seems to take longer to arrive.

Feb 8, 2016 5:48 PM in response to LACAllen

Thanks for your response. I am aware that my ISP offeres email filtering. So does Mail on the Mac. If you send spam to your junk mail folder on the Mac, it will learn to recognize it and automatically send it to the Junk folder. In that situation the Junk folder actually functions. On the iPad we have a Junk folder with no apparent purpose. As a subsequent respondent pointed out, other mail programs might be able to actually use the junk folder. It is a shame that Apple hasn't Coded that into Mail.

Feb 9, 2016 9:57 AM in response to Ekimronnoco

Ekimronnoco wrote:

On the iPad we have a Junk folder with no apparent purpose. As a subsequent respondent pointed out, other mail programs might be able to actually use the junk folder. It is a shame that Apple hasn't Coded that into Mail.

You misunderstood. I mentioned other mail "providers", not other mail programs. Anyway, I get what you're saying. I guess Mail for iOS will become more bloated if Apple incorporate spam filtering that runs on the client side (iOS devices). I won't hurt to send them your suggestions.

iPad Junk Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.