Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emails received to @mac.com email address converts attachments to winmail.dat files

I know there is a ton of discussion on attachments coming over as winmail.dat files from Exchange servers. It looks like specifically it gets targeted as a blame game, Apple vs. Microsoft. The bottom line is could this be an issue not with Apple Mail the program, but the Apple mail servers? I have used my @mac.com email addresses for well over a decade and only until a few months back have had this problem. However, the wrinkle here is that my wife, on an iPhone setup to view her hotmail account can view the same email just fine, yet me with my iPhone (and Macbook) cannot receive the attachment sent to my @mac.com email address. To me the bottom line is this, I've always defended Apple and stuck with their products for decades because it just works... now I'm finding a hard time sticking with them if the blame game is how problems get addressed now. I mean Exchange is the most popular format for emails and if this is how things are being sent (good or bad) shouldn't it be supported? Otherwise, Apple has managed to make communication useless.

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 10:33 AM

1 reply

Emails received to @mac.com email address converts attachments to winmail.dat files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.