Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Security

I am traveling to China for 10 months. How should I keep my Macbook Pro from being hacked and losing my personal information/getting a virus?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:03 AM

3 replies

Feb 9, 2016 6:41 AM in response to huntnofurther

being hacked and losing my personal information/getting a virus

You are describing several different threats, none of which are directly related to China.

Perhaps you should describe your specific concern. If you are concerned that your Internet-based communications are being monitored, recorded, intercepted or however you characterize that concern, be advised that there are no effective means of avoiding that in China. Assume that everything you do on your Mac is being monitored whenever it is connected to the Internet. Circumventing what we in the United States might describe as state-imposed restrictions on freedom of speech is not easily accomplished in the PRC, and will probably be illegal if you were to try, subjecting you to potential imprisonment. Using a VPN, for example, will not isolate you from that possibility. Certain products in common use in the US such as Facebook and Snapchat are completely banned.

Losing personal information occurs whenever you divulge personal information to others, and that is by far the most popular way of succumbing to that threat.

There are no Mac viruses so forget that. Attempting to use a product or service to protect you from the possibility of violating state security with your Mac will be futile.

Feb 8, 2016 1:19 PM in response to huntnofurther

The prospects for information security in China will depend on how interested the authorities are in you. If they're strongly motivated, the prospects are poor.

As far as possible, remove all sensitive data from the computer before you leave.

If you've installed the Oracle Java web plugin, remove it or disable it completely and leave it that way for the duration of the trip, if not permanently. The same goes for Adobe Flash Player.

Assume that all communications will be intercepted.

Don't install or update any software of any kind while abroad, not even Apple updates.

Activate FileVault with a strong password. Whenever you enter the password, deliberately enter a wrong one first to make sure that it's rejected. Turn the machine off whenever you're away from it. Don't leave it in sleep mode. If you find the machine in a different state than it was in when you left it, assume that it's compromised and stop trusting it.

Be aware that you could be asked, or compelled, to reveal any password.

Macbook Pro Security

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.