Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

blank space between header and table

Using Pages 5.6.1, I seem to be stuck with several inches of blank space between my header, which took a half hour to learn how to create, and the table below it. I have been using Pages for over a decade and am wondering "what is going on with me and Pages!?" Is this the end?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:52 AM

10 replies

Feb 8, 2016 2:03 PM in response to Ralentando

Your more fully featured, and familiar friend Pages '09 v4.3 may very well be waiting for you in your Applications : iWork '09 folder. Use what you are familiar with, and better documented. Pages v5.6.1 is the latest in a 2+ year bag of hurt that has imposed frustration, lost functionality, bugs, and lost time on nearly everyone that has used it.

Feb 12, 2016 10:12 AM in response to Ralentando

First thing. In your Text Inspector : More tab, deselect Prevent widow & orphan lines. Secondly, review your Wrap Inspector settings for Object Causes Wrap : Above and Below. You may have to change the wrap style with the table nearing the document bottom. If these two Inspector activities have solved the mysterious space issue, then disregard the next paragraph.

Place your insertion point at the beginning of your document. Open the Text Inspector to its Text tab. Repeatedly tap the down-arrow key while watching the Line, and before/after paragraph settings. If you encounter an unexpected setting in these fields, that may also explain the gap in your document.

Lastly, look at your Layout Inspector, and ensure that the Layout margins at the bottom are all 0, and in the Document Inspector, that there are no surprises in there regarding margin settings.

Feb 12, 2016 10:14 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your assistance. I did have the prevent widow and orphan lines checked and have unchecked it. that resulted in my header moving to the prior page, but I suspect that the "table" , my listing of past employment, is too large to fit in the bottom 4 inches of the first page. How can I split that table into two parts, the second remaining at the top of the second page?

Feb 12, 2016 10:39 AM in response to Ralentando

In Pages v5.6.1, select your table, and in the Format panel, click the Arrange tab. Select the Move with Text tab, and then set Text Wrap to Inline with Text. The table will descend to the bottom of the page, and resume on the next page. This is the only Object Placement and Text Wrap setting that will allow a table to split across pages.

Feb 12, 2016 10:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

The word "Format" is in two places, one being on a horizontal menu bar atop the whole screen, between insert and arrange. the other is in the right upper corner of my document, just to the left of "document". I am guessing that you want me to go to the second, though of course I have explored both. I cannot find an Arrange tab under either, but I did find a Move with Text tab once, but cannot find it again. The Text Wrap was already set to Inline with Text. Currently, the table is stuck at the top of the second page, leaving the bottom of the first page empty.

blank space between header and table

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.