Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is a Mac pro worth it for a user that does not specifically use multicore programs

Just like the title says

Im considering a 6 core model with 1tb of flash

cost is $4700

where a similar iMac with a maxed out i7 is roughly 4k

The only multi core program i use is matlab.

I use mostly engineering software for computation and some cad.

My biggest use of power is having 2 virtual machines running at a time. I typically have ubuntu and win 7 running in the background.

Does it sound like a mac pro or an iMac is the solution?

Needing a monitor and keyboard is not a big sea given i already have that stuff.

iMac

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 12:06 PM

7 replies

Feb 8, 2016 12:42 PM in response to rscott126

Having arbitrary programs optimally use many cores is a Classic Unsolved Problem in Computer Science. Most code needs to be specially-coded to use lots of cores adequately. Mac OS X takes a stab in that direction by using lots and lots of tasks, and hoping they will provide better use of multiple cores than straight-line code.

You are talking of running three operating systems at once. That will always use lots of cores, because each one has so many tasks inside it. While that may still not provide Optimal usage of All available cores (the Classic problem). It certainly should be better.

The late 2013 Mac Pro is a system "all tuned up" to run many fast processors on a large Error-Corrected memory while using and cooling multiple fast Graphics cards, one of which is reserved for GPU computing. You may be better served by a used silver tower Mac Pro 4,1 or 5,1 from 2009 or later.

Feb 8, 2016 4:16 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant

Yes i understand that is your suggestion. You have said that a few times now on other threads. I have also told you that I'm not interested in a used machine because i don't fully understand what people have down to them. Im also not really interested in buying an OLDER machine then what i already have now.

I have also expressed interested in wanting to purchase a new machine for the apple care and also the warranty.

I made this post to get the opinions on a maxed out iMac or a mac pro and which would specifically improve my user experience given the fact that i run parallels (unfortunately) with multiple systems at one time

Thanks for your replies

Feb 8, 2016 6:00 PM in response to rscott126

The six core is a really nice spot in compute power vs cost in either line. In the late 2013 Mac Pro, the 8-core is also worth consideration because it is implemented in a reasonable way (instead of the old way on two chips that gave you two separate caches that sometimes had to be reconciled). But the best deal of all is that you can change the processor chips later (or pay OWC or somebody else to do it) if you decide you need more.

RAM in the late 2013 can be expanded from large to huge without arbitrary limits.

The most compelling thing I hate about the iMac, is that it reminds me of trying to buy a Grand Piano. In a few years, you may own an obsolete instrument inside a GREAT piece of furniture, and no easy way to "punch it up a little".

Is a Mac pro worth it for a user that does not specifically use multicore programs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.