Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ethernet ports

why are there ethernet ports on here on the express? I have ethernet available near it but Im not sure since Im trying to extend? a signal, why would I have them?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:16 AM

3 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:24 AM in response to dancamera

The express is not JUST an extender.. it can be used as router or as roaming network or wireless bridge to ethernet. There are many different ways to use the Express. When you do wireless extend.. no ethernet is needed..

I have ethernet available near it but Im not sure since Im trying to extend?

Extend wireless (better using the correct term, wireless repeater), is a poor way to do things.

You will get no better results than the signal at the location the express now sits.. and the speed is divided by 2.. because repeater is less than 50% efficient.

The correct method to use for getting better wireless is called roaming network..

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations - Apple Suppo…

Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support

Extend by wire (meaning ethernet) allows you to get full wireless speed in areas where there is no signal at all from the existing wireless.

ethernet ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.