Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2011 Macbook Pro - Should I update to El Capitan?

I have a late 2011 unibody Macbook Pro (model id 8.1) that I have the original OS 10.7.5 Lion installed on. Other than slowing down in the past year or so, it has been pretty reliable. Last week I decided to make some improvements and upgraded the RAM to 8 GB and installed a new 1TB SSD. My computer feels like new with these changes! So my question is....is there any benefit to me upgrading to El Capitan at this stage? I am a simple home user with basic computer knowledge that uses my laptop mostly just for word processing, presentations, internet, and streaming video. I am nervous over some of the reviews I've read with people upgrading from earlier operating systems and laptops with a noticeable decrease in performance and lots of bugs. Lion seems to be working fine for my computer, but was not sure if there's any reason to upgrade that I'm not aware of?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:29 AM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 11:42 AM in response to fventuri83

Should have no problem. But if you still have any slowness or problems, it is best to address that before hand. You may find that you will have to update third party software. Without knowing what software you have installed, I cannot tell you what will need to be updated.Usually the websites for the software can tell you what updates, if any you will need.

Late 2011 Macbook Pro - Should I update to El Capitan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.