Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library - Disk Space

Hello all;

I'm using Macbook Air - Yosemite version 10.10.5.

I'm creating my first ever iMovie project - but its a big one. I'm using clips from my GoPro - one 10 minute clip is nearly 4GB in size. Probably taking parts from over 10 hours of footage.

Anyway, I have a massive storage issue. In preparation for the project, I moved loads of files from my disk drive to an external hardrive to allow for as much free space for iMovie as possible - and allow it do its thing. But my issue is that iMovie library seems to grow and grow in size (went up to 50GB today) and I can't seem to control it? I would gladly delete files from my iMovie library as I go, if I could find them? But I can't. There's no option to find them in finder. I'm only using small parts of massive videos so its a real problem. Especially considering my full disk drive is only 120GB.

I've spent ages trying to figure out where they go and how i can remove them but to no avail. I'm using iMovie version 10.1.1 if thats of any help...

Any advice is much appreciated - I'm not the most technical genius so dumbing it down would also be much appreciated :/

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:26 AM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2016 2:54 PM in response to FishChalk

iMovie needs lots of space and a 120 GB startup drive is way too small. Contary to what you have done, it is actually better to put all your iMovie stuff on a large external drive. Although the default iMovie 10 library location is the Movies folder you can create a library on an external drive from within iMovie and copy events and projects over. (Do copy, not move - some people have reported problems with move and anyway it's best to make sure everything is working on the new library before you delete the old one. See the help file at: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7 for more details.

Geoff.

iMovie Library - Disk Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.