Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the Macbook Air not supported by iPhone?

I've heard that most Apple products have severe incompatibility problems, but I figured a Macbook and an iPhone would sorta co-exist together. Apparently not, as is apparently the case after reading several papers online. That said, I'm curious... since the Air and the iPhone aren't able to connect via Bluetooth, is there a workaround or a possible hack (aside from using a cable) to allow these two to exchange files? Maybe a 3rd party hack that I"m not aware of?

Thank you!

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:16 PM

The two devices share content just fine if you can use AirDrop on each device. Read both in articles for more information.

Share content with AirDrop from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use AirDrop to send content from your Mac - Apple Support

Not to mention iCloud, DropBox and others WiFi apps

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 2:16 PM in response to mcstrangelove

The Bluetooth profile (and the very nature of the device) does not allow file exchange with ANY Mac, regardless of model. Use AirDrop like Demo suggests (that uses the Wi-Fi network for communications) or use the Lightning cable and iTunes on the Mac. Look under the File Exchange section in the device's Apps tab.

Note that an iOS device does not have a filesystem per se, at least in the sense we all envision on computers. Each app has a private storage area where it keeps its files AND these can be shared amongst other compatible apps in a very controlled fashion.

Feb 8, 2016 2:16 PM in response to Demo

Thanks for all the input. I have used Dropbox for occasional items, but may need to consider its relevance now. Maybe a bad assumption on my part but I figured Apple devices could share via Bluetooth. My old Android phone could wirelessly send photos and vids to my Air using Kies so I thought that Apple-to-Apple would be a no-brainer. I'll check out Airdrop as well.

Thanks for the tips!

Why is the Macbook Air not supported by iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.