Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Newbie setup help.....let's start from the beginning.

System;

M-Audio Oxygen 88 connected via MIDI cable to

iConnectivity iConnect Midi 4+ connected via USB to

Mac Mini on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 with latest updated version of Logic Pro X

Quite simply, all the gear and no idea. I just know once I get the initial setup done, I'll be laughing......I just can't get to that stage or where to start.

Firstly, I know that things are talking to each other; certainly I'm getting responses of the keyboard being displayed on the MIDI interface. Similarly, I can make some adjustments on the keyboard (master volume) and virtual wheels turn on my Logic Pro X screen.

However, how do I do the initial setup fully? How do I get Logic Pro X to know I've got the M-Audio Oxy-88 and get it to understand that it has lots of buttons and knobs that can be used? How do I get Logic Pro X to understand that I have the iConnect MIDI interface.setup

What do I need to do in the Setup and Preferences menus, etc?

As I say, I think once I have this initial setup sorted, then manuals, videos, tips, etc will slot into place.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance,

Elton

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 12:32 PM

1 reply

Feb 8, 2016 2:04 PM in response to eltonbolt

eltonbolt wrote:

Quite simply, all the gear and no idea.

I like the honesty.

eltonbolt wrote:

I just can't get to that stage or where to start.

Stage number 1, where to start is the Logic Pro X User Guide, at page number 1.

eltonbolt wrote:

How do I get Logic Pro X to know I've got the M-Audio Oxy-88 and get it to understand that it has lots of buttons and knobs that can be used? How do I get Logic Pro X to understand that I have the iConnect MIDI interface.setup

Regarding MIDI, Logic doesn't have to understand anything, your OSX has to. Whatever OSX recognizes as a valid connected an operational MIDI Interace, Logic just takes its word for it and makes it available to you. Ready to go. Of course, you have to know how to select a Track, which Track, where you are about to record you incoming MIDI signal. See advice above about starting at page number 1.

About all your knobs on your MIDI controllers, They are sending just MIDI signals the same way your keys on your keyboards. Logic records them along. Unless you want to get all fancy and set up Control Surfaces. For that you have to fast forward on the User Guide to page somewhere around 2,000, meaning, this is a really advanced topic.

eltonbolt wrote:

What do I need to do in the Setup and Preferences menus, etc?

That depends. But seriously, if you look through the different pages in both windows, then you'll realize that this is getting pretty deep. The default settings are ready to go for most situations, and as a rule of thumb, only change settings if you know exactly what they mean and what they do. The User Guide is your friend again and answers most of your hard pressed question.

The only page you really need to to go at the beginning is the "Preferences ➤ Audio ➤ Devices" to tell Logic what audio interface you want to use with it.

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Newbie setup help.....let's start from the beginning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.