Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand iOS 9.2.1 not free

i just got my iPad Air 2 and was expecting GarageBand to be free on the App Store, but it seems I have to pay for it? I also have no "Apps made by Apple" in quick links. Can someone please help? sorry if someone already asked this - I searched but couldn't find anything.User uploaded file

iPad Air, iOS 9.2.1, iPad Air 2

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 1:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 1:58 PM

I believe this is only for iOS 8.

You can contact Apple Support and ask if you are eligible.

https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html

Free Apple apps for your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with iOS 8 - Apple Support

14 replies

Feb 8, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Pmintz25

This page says GarageBand iOS is free on iOS9 devices: http://www.apple.com/ios/garageband/

See the footnote:

GarageBand is free on the App Store for qualifying iOS 9 compatible devices with initial activation on or after September 1, 2014. See www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/ for iOS 9 compatible devices. Downloading apps requires an Apple ID.

There is also a download link: Download GarageBand for iOS

Feb 9, 2016 4:52 AM in response to JacquesSzluha

The price for GarageBand iOS has always been a Yo-YO. I wish, Apple would make upits mind anss tick with one version of pricing.

Initially, GarageBand was an expensive add-on. Then apple switched to giving it away for free with new devices, but users with older deviices had to buy it.

Then, for a short time, they made GarageBand 2.0 completely free, but to get the loops and sounds, we had to pay by an in-app purchase, that gave a lot of trouble. It did not really change the price, because the in-app purchase was as expensive as the app used to be.

Now we have to pay again for the app, but the in-app purchase is free. The price for both together is still the same. 😁

And with an eligible device you get both for free.

Let us know, if Apple Support can help you.

Feb 9, 2016 7:52 AM in response to Wood Stock

Wood Stock wrote:

My apologies. I didn't mean to offend 🙂

Clearly, then, it is Apple who hasn't factored in the the cost of the App against the cost of living in your part of the world.

What does a coffee cost??

Well, for R100 (about) I can get coffee which is considered "a luxury to have" for a whole month. Two months if it's just me who drinks it. [I detest coffee shops and eating/drinking in public]

Feb 9, 2016 7:56 AM in response to léonie

léonie wrote:

The price for GarageBand iOS has always been a Yo-YO. I wish, Apple would make upits mind anss tick with one version of pricing.

Initially, GarageBand was an expensive add-on. Then apple switched to giving it away for free with new devices, but users with older deviices had to buy it.

Then, for a short time, they made GarageBand 2.0 completely free, but to get the loops and sounds, we had to pay by an in-app purchase, that gave a lot of trouble. It did not really change the price, because the in-app purchase was as expensive as the app used to be.

Now we have to pay again for the app, but the in-app purchase is free. The price for both together is still the same. 😁

It's unusual for apple to flip-flop on their decisions like this. I've never had problems with Apple in the past and I hope this is the only one I experience 😢.

I'll post what Apple told me as soon as I have received a response.ℹ

Feb 10, 2016 11:20 AM in response to léonie

I've heard back from Apple today. A nice guy name Howard told me that even though there is a price displayed, if I download (buy??) the app, I will not be charged. He even offered to refund me should I download GarageBand (or any of the other iLife / iWork apps 😀) and I get charged for it. I have tried this and it seems to be true - I downloaded GarageBand and Numbers and have not been charged for either application 😁. I haven't checked for in-app purchases yet, but I would gladly pay for something should I require the use of it.

léonie wrote:

GarageBand iOS 9.2.1 not free

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.