Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up a disk partition for Windows as GPT instead of MBR partion table?

When setting up a Windows machine on my late 2011 MBP, I am receiving the message: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks" I am in the Windows setup process when I see this error. At this point, trying the "format" option, etc does not work.

The Disk Utility has no option to change the partition to a different format other than ExFat or MSDOS.

I am running El Capitan and I read that the Disk Utility was changed with this OS.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5), El Capitain

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 1:09 PM

6 replies

Feb 8, 2016 2:02 PM in response to Macenricc

If you force a USB Installer build by modifying the Bootcamp info.plist and then choose EFI Boot, BCA creates a Hybrid MBR. This causes the conflict between the GPT and MBR installations. If you have a Windows icon on the USB, use that which is the legacy installer. You may still see a black screen, because the BCA sets the NVRAM to boot from the Optical drive path. The best option is to leave the disk with the MBR and use a physical DVD, which defaults to the legacy Windows installer.

Feb 9, 2016 6:45 AM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the help. I burned an installer disk from a Windows 7 iso, from my desktop. I did the right click on the image and selected burn a disk image. The burn was successful however BCA will not recognize the disk as a Windows installer disk. I found some comments that perhaps the way the disk was burned was the problem however the only option suggested was to burn it in Disk Utility, however the Disk Utility no longer has a disk burn option.

When I open the disk, I see all the files. I put the disk into a PC and opened it. Once I clicked on the setup.exe file, window 7 began the install process.

Any ideas? Do I need to install an older OS system .

Thanks.

How do I set up a disk partition for Windows as GPT instead of MBR partion table?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.