Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my dock keep switching screens?

I have a three monitor set-up with my Mac-Pro. Here is a table representation of how I have it set:

Monitor 1

Monitor 2

MAIN MONITOR

DOCK on BOTTOM

Monitor 3

MacBook Pro

Retinal Display

Acer

AL2216W

Norcent

1280 x 1024

I set my dock at the bottom of the middle display and use this as my main. But what I have noticed is the dock flips from monitor to monitor for no apparent reason? When I look in my display settings it still shows the middle monitor as the one with the dock, but the dock has moved to one of the other two and I am not sure why. Is this a bug or am I doing something the make the dock jump to another screen? How do I get it to jump back? What I have discovered is if I change the dock to be positioned left, then bottom it moves back to the bottom of my main monitor, but it has been doing this enough lately that has become an annoyance.

If it helps, here are the specs of my Macbook:

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 15" - 2.8 i7 - 16gigs DDR3 - Rad R9

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 6:35 PM

I figured it out.

When you have multiple monitors, if you place your mouse in the middle of where your dock would be on any of the other monitors it moves there for you - for me middle bottom. It is a feature, not a bug or issue. If you place your mouse back on your original monitor in the middle position of where the middle of the dock would be it returns there.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 6:35 PM in response to venz

I figured it out.

When you have multiple monitors, if you place your mouse in the middle of where your dock would be on any of the other monitors it moves there for you - for me middle bottom. It is a feature, not a bug or issue. If you place your mouse back on your original monitor in the middle position of where the middle of the dock would be it returns there.

Why does my dock keep switching screens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.