Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

scam email?

I have had an email stating that someone has made a purchase on my account and if I did not make the purchase I should verify my ID. Is this a scam? How do I know when an email is actually from Apple?

iPad

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:30 PM

More than likely a phishing attempt. Check the actual email address the mail came from. It probably isn't an Apple domain. You can use this link to help identify fraudulent emails. Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email - Apple Support

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 3:14 PM in response to Mazzmaureen

Mazzmaureen wrote:

I have had an email stating that someone has made a purchase on my account and if I did not make the purchase I should verify my ID. Is this a scam? How do I know when an email is actually from Apple?

You can tell by looking at email headers. If that is too technical, the safest way is to ignore whatever it tells you to do. Scam mail wants you to follow a link in the email body which will take you to the scammer's website. Once you do that, you're one step away from giving the bad guys your ID. Never follow links in the email. If you're unsure about it, manually visit apple website and sign in then change your password.

scam email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.