Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to iOS 9.2.1, I am unable to send emails when I want to.

Yesterday I updated to ios9.9.2.1. Since then, any emails I try to send fail, saying that my email address is invalid. Since I've been using it for about 20 years, I find this highly unlikely. Some emails go after a period, but that is no help when I want to send an urgent one. Does anyone else have this problem,? Anyone know why it is happening? I'd rather address the question to Apple directly, but can't find any route to do this - all they do is dump th new update on us and leave us to sort out the problems.

iPad, iOS 9.2.1, iOS 9.2.1 update

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:30 PM

Rudi48 wrote:

Yesterday I updated to ios9.9.2.1. Since then, any emails I try to send fail, saying that my email address is invalid. Since I've been using it for about 20 years, I find this highly unlikely. Some emails go after a period, but that is no help when I want to send an urgent one. Does anyone else have this problem,? Anyone know why it is happening? I'd rather address the question to Apple directly, but can't find any route to do this - all they do is dump th new update on us and leave us to sort out the problems.

Not sure what email account you're using as you didn't state it.

1. would be make sure the account is set up correctly.

2. remove and reinstall the email account.

3. ask the email provider what the issue is.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 2:30 PM in response to Rudi48

Rudi48 wrote:

Not sure what email account you're using as you didn't state it.

1. would be make sure the account is set up correctly.

2. remove and reinstall the email account.

3. ask the email provider what the issue is.

Feb 8, 2016 2:35 PM in response to razmee209

Thanks for your prompt response. The email account is with tesco.net. It has been working fine on the same iPad for over two years without problem. It is still working fine on my laptop. The problem only arose when the iOS was updated. I am unwilling to delete the email account at the moment, as there are a lot of records within it that I need for legal proceedings that are going on at present.

Feb 8, 2016 3:18 PM in response to razmee209

The mail info is correct. Further checking has shown that emails without attachments go without problems, but those with attachments fail. This confirms email outgoing data is OK. I had sent a lot of emails with attachments immediately before updating the iOS, and all emails with attachments failed immediately afterwards. The only change was the update. The attachment size is within the limits of my provider, and similar emails work fine when sent from the laptop. I will contact my provider tomorrow, but still feel the iOS is faulty.

Feb 8, 2016 3:21 PM in response to Rudi48

Rudi48 wrote:

The mail info is correct. Further checking has shown that emails without attachments go without problems, but those with attachments fail. This confirms email outgoing data is OK. I had sent a lot of emails with attachments immediately before updating the iOS, and all emails with attachments failed immediately afterwards. The only change was the update. The attachment size is within the limits of my provider, and similar emails work fine when sent from the laptop. I will contact my provider tomorrow, but still feel the iOS is faulty.

Close out of the mail app and double tap the home button and completely close out of the app. Then do a reset, no data loss. Hold down the home/sleep button together until you see the apple logo and then release, then wait for the device to boot back up. Then try sending an attachment again.

Feb 8, 2016 3:29 PM in response to Rudi48

Is there an error message with the failure? Is that where you see "email address is invalid"?

That sounds absolutely like a credential issue with your outgoing mail server. Is it an IMAP account? Tesco's website doesn't really say if they use POP or IMAP.

If IMAP, your danger of losing email be removing and adding the account back should be nil.

The iOS merely provides data to Tesco's outgoing server. If the answers aren't what the server expect to hear, your outgoing mail might be refused or delayed. It sounds like that is the issue.

It's easy to blame the iOS. It's rarely accurate on email issues.

Feb 10, 2016 6:17 PM in response to LACAllen

This problem seems to have "gone away". I can only assume someone connected with writing the iOS has made a correction. However, this is not the only problem,I have discovered since the latest "improvement". Editing does not work as it did before, and more than half of my notes have disappeared.

to answer your queries, the error message said that my email address did not exist - very odd, as I could still receive emails to this address, and send them on a different device.

the system is IMAP.

Feb 10, 2016 6:49 PM in response to Rudi48

Your message proves it was a Tesco issue all along.

The iOS does not validate emails, so could not have possibly generated the error message. Tesco's servers validate email addresses and would be responsible for the error message "email address does not exist"

I'm not even going to comment on your theory that someone connected with writing the iOS read your message on the 8th and downloaded a secret fix to your device by the 10th.

Jun 27, 2016 6:29 PM in response to Rudi48

I just upgraded to 9.2.1

I have six different accounts with different email providers using IMAP.

NEVER had a problem until now,

Different accounts will randomly fail to send mail. They get stuck in the outbox and will never send. All settings are correct. Sometimes it sends mail, and sometimes it doesn't.

Like getting new tires that can't hold air.

Doesnt make any sense to have a problem for something so basic and fundamental.

Since updating to iOS 9.2.1, I am unable to send emails when I want to.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.