Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Server - installing a second copy

I have a 2010 Mini Server (with 512GB SSD/1TB HDD). It is currently running SL 10.6.8 and Server.

I want to install a second copy on a different partition so I can test upgrade.

Installing SL from a 10.6.3 Retail DVD gives me the 'Do not Enter' sign when using this partition. The original server installation works fine. I have the original Grey Disk that came with the server.

1. Should a new copy be installed using this disk instead of the retail DVD?

2. I can backup to a TM, but would like to avoid a restore if I want to fall back to SL 10.6.8.

3. Mavericks installs correctly on the test partition without any issues.

4. Does the Upgrade from SL 10.6.8 Server to Mavericks Server require a new Server license purchase?

I have looked at OS X Server: Upgrade and migration from Lion Server or Snow Leopard Server - Apple Support and OS X Server: Upgrade and migration from Mavericks or Mountain Lion - Apple Support .

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:37 PM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 4:16 PM in response to Loner T

Option 5: None of the above 🙂

Good to see you are testing before jumping into an upgrade.

A much easier option is to simply clone your existing partition to another partition.

Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5

Your other partition could be on the same machine or a different computer (compatible with 10.6.8) so you can test without taking the production server offline.

Once you clone, you can switch back and forth.

If you are running mail, be careful you don't receive mail on your test partition (same goes with other services of course)

Whats nice about the clone, if things go south, you can simply re-clone to your test partition and only the changed files are copied.

Jeff

Feb 8, 2016 4:52 PM in response to UptimeJeff

I'd have to agree about Time Machine, in theory it is great in practice it can fail with full restores. I wouldn't use it for a server and don't rely on it for migrations unless there is no alternative.

If you don't want to use CCC (which is a great app). You can clone via Disk Utility, use the restore tab to clone one partition to another. The erase option should perform a block copy on 10.6 which is the quickest way to clone a volume. Clone to a disk image if you need to archive the OS with encryption, don't need it bootable or don't have a partition to dedicate to it etc.

I think some Macs that shipped with 10.6.3 can't use the retail DVD (as your no entry sign illustrates). Stick with the original OS if you want to reinstall, but maybe you just need a clone to test how the upgrade works.

Feb 9, 2016 12:28 PM in response to Drew Reece

I used the Grey Disk and installed a copy of the 10.6.3 Server, ran Software Update to get it current on SL, and then downloaded Yosemite and started the upgrade. I will check the upgrade when I get back to the Mini. Apparently I need to buy Server v4.x from App Store to run it on Yosemite or higher.

Since this is a test for the upgrade. I will create a DMG from the Server, before i run the upgrade. I will update thread this later tonight.

Thanks, UptimeJeff and Drew Reece for your insight. I will check CCC out as part of this exercise.

OSX Server - installing a second copy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.