Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving photos from iCloud to iPhone. Not restore

I’ve seen a lot of old questions regarding this but not a definitive answer and maybe things have changed over the updates.

I’ve wiped my iPhone due to software issues and setup as a new phone (same IDs of course) and not restored as I don’t want to risk wiping it and restoring the possible corruption back to it. My photos and videos are all backed up on iCloud. After setting up the phone, I see the icons for the pictures, in the Photo app, are little clouds until they are all processed and then I see the small image of the picture.

Question: Has my phone downloaded all these images from iCloud or is it showing me an icon for it and the image is only in iCloud or has it copied it back to my device? I’m suspecting the former.

What I’d like to achieve is what I had before the wiping of the phone, my images on my phone and a backup of them in iCloud.

Can this be achieved or do I have to resort to finding a 3rd party tool that can do this?

Thanks

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 3:01 PM

Is settings > photos and camera > optimised checked or not.

7 replies

Feb 9, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Winston Churchill

So I do have an actual copy of the image, albeit a reduced resolution one, on my iphone opposed to a link to the file in iCloud. I suppose an easy way to have tested this would be to try to open an image in airplane mode and see if the image opened.

Crossing the streams a bit here, I've noticed also that my notes are selected to backup to iCloud but when I view iCloud via a browser, it shows no notes at all. Anyone seen this behavior before?

Feb 10, 2016 12:38 AM in response to Plentymech

Plentymech wrote:

So I do have an actual copy of the image, albeit a reduced resolution one, on my iphone opposed to a link to the file in iCloud. I suppose an easy way to have tested this would be to try to open an image in airplane mode and see if the image opened.

No, you would need to check 'download originals'

Crossing the streams a bit here, I've noticed also that my notes are selected to backup to iCloud but when I view iCloud via a browser, it shows no notes at all. Anyone seen this behavior before?

I assume you mean sync your notes rather than back them up.

1. First check that all your settings are correct, that notes syncing is checked on all devices (system preferences > iCloud on a mac and settings > iCloud on a iPhone, iPad or iPod).
  2. Make sure the notes you are adding are added to your 'iCloud' group and not an 'On My Mac', 'On My Phone' or other non iCloud group (you can do this by checking in groups), non iCloud notes will not sync.
  3. If you are sure that everything is set up correctly and your notes are in the iCloud group, you might try unchecking notes syncing in the iCloud settings, restarting your device and then re-enabling notes syncing.
  4. You might also try signing out of your iCloud account completely, restarting the device and then signing back in again.

Moving photos from iCloud to iPhone. Not restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.