Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On My Mac Contacts Disappear When Turning on iCloud

I have a very large number of contacts organized in groups in the Contacts app. I only want to sync one of these groups to my idevices but I can’t figure out how. In the Notes app, I can keep some notes On My Mac and put others in iCloud and I would like to do the same thing with Contacts. But there does not seem to be a way to save some contacts On My Mac and others in iCloud. If I uncheck the Contact sync option in iCloud System Preferences, I can create On My Mac contact lists. But as soon as I re-check the Contact sync option, my On My Mac contacts are automatically transferred into iCloud and any option to save contacts On My Mac disappears.

I read online somewhere that I should be able to select either On My Mac or iCloud as my default account for Contacts in Preferences/General. But as you can see from my screenshot, I do not seem to have this option.

I have tried logging out of iCloud on all my devices and logging back in, deleting all my contacts and re-importing them, running First Aid in Disk Utility, and repairing permissions. But no luck.

Any suggestions? What am I missing?User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Contacts

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 5:38 PM

2 replies

On My Mac Contacts Disappear When Turning on iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.