Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sections -

Dear friends,

I felt comfortable with Pages about 5 years ago. I am just now working with Numbers 09 and am struggling with making sections. I seem to remember that sections allowed me to write as many pages in that section without the text running into the next section. Recently I made sections for my mini chapters and now this evening each section is running into each other and upsetting my formatting. I have graphs floating throughout two sections and it has been a nightmare to sort it all out. I need to write my introduction tomorrow and am afraid of what awaits me.

Please throw me a line. I also need to merge my sections and need some help with these steps.

Running a MacBook Pro from 2012 with OS X El Capitan.

Thanks for your help.

Jonelle

iPod touch, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:18 PM

Hi Jonelle,

"I am just now working with Numbers 09 and am struggling with making sections."

I'm assuming that you meant "Pages '09", as you've posted in the Pages for Mac area, and as Numbers does not support "sections."

Pages '09 makes two types of document: Page Layout and Word Processing.

Page Layout, in which each page is a separate section. In this document type, the Insert menu starts with "Page", "Section break, Page break, and Layout break are all greyed, and the first button in the buttons bar's middle group is labeled "+ Pages".

All text in this type of Pages document is contained in text boxes, which may be inserted from the Insert menu or by using the "Text" button in the buttons br. Text boxes may be linked linked (note the tag to the left of "Lorem"), and text will flow from one box to the next linked box.

User uploaded file

In a Word processing document, the Insert menu starts with "Section", which is also the label on the first button in the middle group on the buttons bar.

User uploaded file

Most text in a word processing document is placed in the Text layer. When the page is filled with text, Pages automatically adds a new page (in the same section.

New sections are created in pages wp documents by inserting a Section Break into the text, or by inserting a section using the Insert menu or the Sections button. If text is then added to the section above the break, Pages will add a page to that section when it is needed, bumping all sections below the break one page ahead.

Images, and other objects may be added to a Pages wp document as either Inline objects or Floating objects.

Inline objects are pinned to a specific location in the river of text that runs from beginning to end of the document. If text is added or removed above the object, the text below moved down to make room or up to fill the empty space, dragging an inline object with it.

Floating objects float above the text layer. They are pinned to a specific location relative to the top left corner of the Section they are in. If a Section is added (by inserting a section break) above the object, the object keeps it's position with respect to the top left of the first page in its (new) section, but not necessarily with respect to it's earlier position in the text. If the section break is later removed, the object may keep it's position wrt the top left corner of the section just removed, and not jump back to where it was before that section was created.

In the example below, the green object is Inline, the red object is Floating (and locked), and the yellow object is Floating (and unlocked).

Original: Section break inserted after "conquesat" Three objects placed on first page of new section. R: floating & locked, Y: floating & not locked, G: Inline after "Illum. Note section boundary in thumbnails to left.

User uploaded file

Four lines of text added to page 1, forcing addition of new page 2 (in first section—see section boundary in thumbnails)

Positions of all three objects is the same wrt their section s it was before, as is the text on these pages (3 & 4).

User uploaded file

Section break after "consequat" removed, merging sections 1 and 2.

Text moves up to fill empty space on page 2. Page 3 becomes Page 2. Page 4 no longer needed for text, so it disappears.

Green object moves up with the text. Floating objects remain in the same position wrt top left corner of page 3 (now page 2). All three pages now part of a single section (boundary not shown, as I haven't selected one of the pages).

User uploaded file

Best practice: Before adding or removing section breaks, make ALL objects Inline. Change back to Floating after other editing.

Regards,

Barry

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 3:18 PM in response to jonelle from stavanger

Hi Jonelle,

"I am just now working with Numbers 09 and am struggling with making sections."

I'm assuming that you meant "Pages '09", as you've posted in the Pages for Mac area, and as Numbers does not support "sections."

Pages '09 makes two types of document: Page Layout and Word Processing.

Page Layout, in which each page is a separate section. In this document type, the Insert menu starts with "Page", "Section break, Page break, and Layout break are all greyed, and the first button in the buttons bar's middle group is labeled "+ Pages".

All text in this type of Pages document is contained in text boxes, which may be inserted from the Insert menu or by using the "Text" button in the buttons br. Text boxes may be linked linked (note the tag to the left of "Lorem"), and text will flow from one box to the next linked box.

User uploaded file

In a Word processing document, the Insert menu starts with "Section", which is also the label on the first button in the middle group on the buttons bar.

User uploaded file

Most text in a word processing document is placed in the Text layer. When the page is filled with text, Pages automatically adds a new page (in the same section.

New sections are created in pages wp documents by inserting a Section Break into the text, or by inserting a section using the Insert menu or the Sections button. If text is then added to the section above the break, Pages will add a page to that section when it is needed, bumping all sections below the break one page ahead.

Images, and other objects may be added to a Pages wp document as either Inline objects or Floating objects.

Inline objects are pinned to a specific location in the river of text that runs from beginning to end of the document. If text is added or removed above the object, the text below moved down to make room or up to fill the empty space, dragging an inline object with it.

Floating objects float above the text layer. They are pinned to a specific location relative to the top left corner of the Section they are in. If a Section is added (by inserting a section break) above the object, the object keeps it's position with respect to the top left of the first page in its (new) section, but not necessarily with respect to it's earlier position in the text. If the section break is later removed, the object may keep it's position wrt the top left corner of the section just removed, and not jump back to where it was before that section was created.

In the example below, the green object is Inline, the red object is Floating (and locked), and the yellow object is Floating (and unlocked).

Original: Section break inserted after "conquesat" Three objects placed on first page of new section. R: floating & locked, Y: floating & not locked, G: Inline after "Illum. Note section boundary in thumbnails to left.

User uploaded file

Four lines of text added to page 1, forcing addition of new page 2 (in first section—see section boundary in thumbnails)

Positions of all three objects is the same wrt their section s it was before, as is the text on these pages (3 & 4).

User uploaded file

Section break after "consequat" removed, merging sections 1 and 2.

Text moves up to fill empty space on page 2. Page 3 becomes Page 2. Page 4 no longer needed for text, so it disappears.

Green object moves up with the text. Floating objects remain in the same position wrt top left corner of page 3 (now page 2). All three pages now part of a single section (boundary not shown, as I haven't selected one of the pages).

User uploaded file

Best practice: Before adding or removing section breaks, make ALL objects Inline. Change back to Floating after other editing.

Regards,

Barry

Feb 27, 2016 9:58 AM in response to Barry

Dear Barry,

A very belated thank you for your help and thoughtful reply. It has been a very dark winter and obviously I haven't been thinking too clearly. For starters, I rechecked my version of Pages and found that I am now using Pages 5. I was so certain that I was using Pages 09. I have now reread your post and will go back and see how I can incorporate this with Pages 5. I am currently writing another report so will have the opportunity to practise!

Thank you again. I am certain to return.

Kind regards,

Jonelle

Mar 5, 2016 1:08 PM in response to jonelle from stavanger

Dear Barry,

I just wrote another 20 report with about graphs, figure boxes and tables. I thought that I was understanding section breaks and floating and inline objects. Unfortunately, I had the same problems with loosing control of my objects. I spent far too much time putting things back into place and was anxious when adding or deleting text.

I reread your message again this evening. In Pages 5.6, "Stay on page" replaces "Inline" from Pages 09, and "Move with text" replaces "Floating." That shouldn't be so difficult to grasp, but I am afraid now to use the Sections function. It seems that it would be "safer" to use "Move with text" and stay away from inserting new sections.

Has there been any complaint from the community about this same issue? I did not have this problem with Numbers 09.

Another report is due on March 18 and I appreciate any further advice.

Kind regards,

Jonelle

Mar 6, 2016 6:56 AM in response to jonelle from stavanger

"I reread your message again this evening. In Pages 5.6, "Stay on page" replaces "Inline" from Pages 09, and "Move with text" replaces "Floating." That shouldn't be so difficult to grasp, but I am afraid now to use the Sections function. It seems that it would be "safer" to use "Move with text" and stay away from inserting new sections."

Actually, "Stay on page" sounds more like "Floating" and "Move with text" is descriptive of the behaviour of Inline objects.

An Inline/Move with text object has a location that is fixed within the text string running from beginning to end of the document. If text is removed from somewhere above/before the object, then the text lying after the edited out portion will move toward the beginning of the document, dragging the Inline/Move with text object along with it.

The position of a Floating/Stay on Page object is fixed in relation to the top left corner of the document (or possibly of the page it occupies). Depending on its Wrap setting, text will flow behind it or around it. If text is added or removed above the object, the text below the edit will move downward (to make room for added text) or upward (to fill the space left by removed text), but the object will remain at its current location on its current page.

Sections, in Pages, are akin to Chapters, in a book. They provide points where the content of the running header can be changes, and division points where text (or objects) can be added to the previous section without affecting the layout of following sections.

Regards,

Barry

Mar 6, 2016 5:20 AM in response to jonelle from stavanger

Hi jonelle,

In Pages 5 (I am using Pages 5.6.1 on OSX El Capitan 10.11.1) the default when inserting any object is Move with Text, Text Wrap Automatic.

User uploaded file

Easy to change, and do not confuse that with Sections. You can insert objects anywhere within the text in a document, no matter how or where the Sections occur.

Wise advice from Barry:

Sections, in Pages, are akin to Chapters, in a book.

Please call back with questions, and Happy Paging!

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 18, 2016 12:46 PM in response to Barry

Barry, I am sorry to say that I am still having problems with loosing control of my figures and tables. This evening I made sections for my methods and results. After deleting some text, the images from results moved up into the methods section. I remembered what you wrote previously about not fixing objects before or after creating or deleting sections. I think I forgot to unfix the objects and have them move with text before creating my sections. Do you think this is the reason the objects are moving into different sections? I am spending too much time putting things back into place, only to have them outsmart me again. I would like to use sections correctly!

Kind regards,

Jonelle

Sections -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.