Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find Keylogger Installed on mac

I am worried that my mac have a keylogger installed silently.

I always keep my eye on Activity Monitor Network for checking bandwidth usage. Well , few days ago i installed plugin on chrome called TamperMonkey & then installed a script (it offcourse warned) . After then definitely my mac got infected . Whenever i open website on any browser it pops up a random link (mostly wonderland.com) . And with that my Activity Monitor Network shows constant usage of downstream and upstream even if all apps are closed . Even it Activity Monitor dont shows any apps using .(The Network Usage Starts after few hours of logging ). I am definitely sure that theres a virus and maybe even a keylogger .

I tried locating any unknown installed applications but found nothing suspicious.

I reseted browsers completely.

I deleted cache using CCleaner.

I also scanned using Avast / Avira / AntiMalwareByte.

None of scanners shows any malware or virus or anything , but still the virus still remains . Please help me i cant work anything since i worried about my personal information.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 3:59 PM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 4:15 PM in response to Zoe L

I am definitely sure that theres a virus and maybe even a keylogger .

There is only one way to resolve your concern: erase that Mac completely, and reinstall all your essential software from reliable sources. In your position I would be satisfied with nothing less. Create a backup first, so that you can recover your essential documents and other data.

I also scanned using Avast / Avira / AntiMalwareByte.

Forget all those things. None of them are even remotely capable of providing absolute assurance a key logger has not been installed. It is only possible to identify the presence of known key loggers. The converse is logically impossible. Google Chrome was primarily developed to harvest personal information, and its variety of available third party plug-ins and other add-ons will only exacerbate that concern and increase your exposure to that threat.

Never install "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" or "cleaning" software on a Mac, regardless of its source or apparent popularity. "Avast" is arguably malicious itself. Erasing your Mac will eliminate any concern regarding their complete eradication from your Mac.

Please read Effective defenses against malware and other threats.

Feb 8, 2016 4:51 PM in response to Zoe L

Zoe L wrote:

I had used Time Machine and got a backup of data once , will it work?

Yes. Assuming you restore from a backup created prior to the intrusive event, that is what Time Machine is designed to do.

It will not help if a key logger or some other malicious software already harvested personal information such as passwords or other login credentials. You would need to change all of them, as a separate action. Do that after restoring your Mac, not before.

Feb 8, 2016 6:45 PM in response to Zoe L

A

Please create a new Chrome user profile. Note that you can salvage your bookmarks from the existing profile.

Chrome can sync your account settings between devices, so if you enable that feature, malicious profile data can spread from one to another in a virus-like way.

B

Remove all "anti-virus" and "anti-malware" software according to the developer's instructions. It's all worse than useless. Back up all data before making any changes.

How to find Keylogger Installed on mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.