Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Laggy Animations in Finder / Lag in Games

Hello,

I have an older Mac Pro (Early 2009 with upgrades) that has constantly had minor amounts of animation lag in Finder. They are not too problematic, but they are extremely annoying, the animations perform much slower then my 2012 Macbook Air (2Ghz i7, 8GB, 10.10.5). The lag is especially bad when resizing windows, and when dragging windows between monitors.

However, the worst lag occurs in games. I've tried Cities Skylines, and it was completely unplayable, could hardly force quit the game with how much lag it caused; and I've tried Team Fortress 2, which takes a very long time to start up (About a minute and a half) and then seems to have trouble loading anything while in-game (things lag only when an update happens, almost like bad ping, but my ping is consistently below 30ms, and I've tried multiple servers).

I've also tried playing Team Fortress Classic, which runs fine, with no lag, though that is to be expected from a 17 year old game.

I've also found certain sites that utilize HTML5, such as http://mozvr.com/, also lag, but only above certain resolutions (Running at 1440p lags, but running around 720p does not).

All the games work fine when running on Windows (Installed on a separate SSD), so I think I can rule out a hardware issue. This would be okay, if I could run games through VMWare Fusion (8.1.0), but that application too is hit with general lag (Booting off of my bootcamp partition) that isn't there when running Windows natively.

I've tried various fixes, such as reducing transparency, clearing windowserver caches, resetting SMC and PRAM, and have even tried upgrading to El Capitan (10.11.3) which many users say fix Yosemite's lag issues, but I found it to only amplify them to the point the OS was near unusable.

Any help is appreciated.

Relevant System Specs:

Mac Pro 5,1 (Early 2009, updated firmware)

2x Xeon X5675 @ 3.06GHz

64GB 1333MHz ECC DDR3

2x Nvidia Quadro 4000 (One OEM Mac card, one PC version; running latest version of Nvidia's web driver)

2x Dell U2515h monitors (2560x1440 @ 60Hz)*

OWC Accelsior S with Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD (OS X boot disk, 6Gbps)

OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD (Bootcamp with Windows 7, 3Gbps)

Drobo S with five 3TB WD Reds (Games are stored on here, 5Gbps over USB 3.0 via Asus USB 3.1 PCIe card)**

*Note: I have tried running the monitors at lower resolutions, but the Finder lag still exists.

**Note: Read/writes on the Drobo are normally really fast, so I doubt TF2's loading issues stem from it. (I've tried moving it to my SSD, to no avail)

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 14F1605

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 4:57 PM

15 replies

Feb 8, 2016 7:10 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

According to Samsung's site, TRIM is supported, but so is an automatic garbage collection algorithm. Apparently Apple's TRIM conflicts with this, and causes worse performance. TRIM is currently disabled. I have a m.2 version of the 850 Evo (500GB as well) in my Macbook Air, and it runs fine, and has been in use longer then this one. (The one in my Mac Pro has been in there for only a couple months). Disk read/write times appear to be close to what they should be.

I've noticed the lag is more noticeable when moving maximized windows, or large windows. Perhaps OS X doesn't work well with larger resolutions? This doesn't make much sense though, as the retina Macbooks/iMacs are running OS X fine at much larger resolutions, and on lower end hardware.

Feb 8, 2016 7:29 PM in response to retrogamer95

Apparently Apple's TRIM conflicts with this, and causes worse performance.

Nonsense. Apple enables Apple TRIM when they sell this SSD with an Apple part number on it. If running 10.10.5, you can still install TRIM Enabler if you hate Apple TRIM. Or you can enable Apple TRIM with the TRIMforce enable command in Terminal.

Without TRIM (or some other active method to remove deleted data) you risk having your SSD fill up with deleted data and slow way down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trim_(computing)

--------

If moving windows around causes a problem, maybe your graphics card is dying.

Feb 9, 2016 7:34 AM in response to retrogamer95

Enabling TRIM means the next block that is deleted can be released. But if your drive is packed with deleted data, you will need a way to release large numbers of blocks.

I suggest you boot into Safe mode, which does a Disk First Aid pass on your boot drive, and also rebuilds some system caches and other things that may help a little.

Feb 9, 2016 5:41 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I booted into safe mode, oddly enough, I noticed that besides the screen tearing (Which I think is caused by a lack of a graphics driver, though both Quadros were still reported correctly) everything ran a lot smoother in safe mode. Moving windows was a lot more fluid, acting a lot more like it does on my Macbook.

Perhaps something else I am running is causing the lag? I always have Flux and Hyperdock running in the background, but removing them doesn't seem to fix the lag. Opening activity monitor shows that only 0.14% of the CPU is being used, only 6.44GB of RAM is being used and there are no reads and only one write per second.

I'm not sure what could be slowing the window manager down, but it doesn't appear to affect it in safe mode.

Feb 10, 2016 8:03 AM in response to retrogamer95

Perhaps something else I am running is causing the lag?

Safe mode does not load display acceleration or any third-party extensions. The display is using what I call "simple mode", where one area of its VRAM is the display buffer, and the processor does all the drawing right into directly, no "off-screen draw ahead" or anything else.

are you using a so-called Virus scanner ? these are universally useless and can make your Mac slow and unstable.

Feb 13, 2016 2:35 PM in response to retrogamer95

I found this article on OSXDaily that seems to have sped the resizing animation up substantially. It's still not quite as quick and smooth as my Macbook, but it's much better then before.

I've swapped the GPUs for some others I have lying around, a Geforce GTS 450 and Quadro FX580, but neither seem to change the amount of lag experienced.

Is it possible that my CPUs could be the problem? There is a 25 second or so delay before the boot screen appears, and I had a similar problem when using them in another PC (A Dell Precision T5500 with a similarly lengthy delay before the BIOS splash screen). I didn't think much of it, as that seems to be their only issue, but perhaps OS X does something with the CPU that uses the same bit of the CPU causing the hold up when booting.

They are a matched pair of X5675 Xeons.

Feb 17, 2016 6:38 AM in response to retrogamer95

everything ran a lot smoother in safe mode. Moving windows was a lot more fluid, acting a lot more like it does on my Macbook.

Many of the things that did not load are from:

/Library/Extensions

take a look in there and see if there are extensions for things you have added. Mine has about 10 standard RAID card drivers I do not use, and an HP printer i/o enabler, but they will not be loaded if there is no call for them.

Feb 17, 2016 6:38 AM in response to retrogamer95

I decided to delete a few kexts that didn't seem like they were being used (Caldigit Raid, Highpoint AHCI) and noticed Finder windows now resize smoothly, and move between monitors without lag. Tried a few other applications and they resize smoothly too.

Firefox is one of the few that doesn't, but it has the same problem on the Macbook, so I assume that is due to some issue in Firefox and not OS X.

Lag in certain games was not fixed, but that is probably another issue specific to the individual games, as I tried a few other games, (equally demanding as TF2 and Cities) and they ran fine.

VMware seems to only lag a lot when running on my secondary monitor (Running off the PC Quadro) now.

It still lags a bit on the primary monitor, but not as much as before.

I will mark this question as answered for now, and go ask about the remaining issues on the forums associated with those applications, as the OS X trouble seems to have been fixed.

Feb 17, 2016 7:56 AM in response to retrogamer95

Each of your NVIDIA Quadro 4000 graphics cards is capable of driving multiple displays all by itself, without slowing down in any perceptible way.

There is nothing to be gained by having each display on its own card. If you are looking for GPU computing power, best results are obtained when the second card can be compute-only, with NO displays attached. [Anandtech explains that this is due to GPU's being very, very bad at Interrupts. When a display refresh item comes along, the in-process GPU computing must be re-started, a huge setback.]

Feb 17, 2016 3:01 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Unfortunately, my monitors only support their full resolutions over Displayport (Or newer HDMI standards, though I haven't gotten it to work using DVI adapters) and the OEM Mac Quadro only has one Displayport output. I also use the DVI on it occasionally for a projector (Using a DVI to HDMI adapter) and an Oculus Rift DK1, and that pushes it to the Fermi limit of two video outputs.

If Apple were to add daisy chaining support to OS X, I could probably use one output, but I'm not sure the 4000s even support Displayport daisy chaining.

Laggy Animations in Finder / Lag in Games

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.