Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to take a screen video on a mac

Hey,

I was on my Mac working on a project (in iMovie), and I needed to take a screen video. (Like a screen shot but a video).

I was wondering the easiest way to do so without having to download anything.

Help if you can, my project is due next week!

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 5:09 PM

6 replies

Feb 8, 2016 5:38 PM in response to Reidrocks

There is no live screen recording apps that are shipped or standard with a Mac.

AND there are no free screen recording apps, either.

All are pay apps for download or paid software on disc that come in the mail.

The low tech way is to use a digital camera or camera phone with video capability, put it on a tripod (or something to hold the camera still and stationary) in a good position and record your screen video that way and then import the video from camera or phone into iMovie to add the footage into your iMovie project to edit.

Good Luck!

Feb 8, 2016 7:51 PM in response to Reidrocks

I am not sure of how your final iMovie project is going to be shown, what format or if it is to be uploaded to a website or you need to author a DVD disc.

Also, not sure what version of OS X you are running on your iMac, either.

If you need to render/author/burn a DVD disc that will play on any kind of DVD player, you will need some DVD authoring/burning software to make the video DVD.

Apple no longer includes DVD authoring/burning software any longer with newer Macs (iDVD).

The only reason I am mentioning this fact as there is one software title that has both DVD authoring/burning AND screen recording capabilites all rolled up into one software package and that is Roxio Toast Titanium.

I use older versions of OS X (10.6, 10.8 & 10.9), so I was able to purchase a newer version of Toast (Toast Titanium 12) to update my much older Toast 8 version that I was afraid wouldn't fully function with all the later versions of OS X that I have available on my iMac.

I found Toast 12 fairly cheap and it is quailfied to still function up to 10.9.

http://www.amazon.com/Roxio-Toast-Titanium-Mac-Version/dp/B00L64Q6SE/ref=sr_1_3? ie=UTF8&qid=1454989498&sr=8-3&keywords=r…

IF your iMac is running OS X 10.10 Yosemite or 10.11 El Capitàn, you will need a more recent version which maybe a little more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/Roxio-RTOT14MLMBAM-Toast-14-Titanium/dp/B0123C60F6/ref=sr_ 1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454989498&sr=8-1&keywor…

Good Luck!

How to take a screen video on a mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.