Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro - Failing HDD - What are my options?

Hello,

About a week (or so) ago, I began experiencing issues with my MacBook Pro. At first, it would only happen when I would start Skype, I would experience extreme "lag" where nearly every program would stop responding until I closed Skype (or so I thought). It started getting worse, and eventually I uninstalled Skype (assuming that was the issue). I continued experiencing issues, so I just tried a hard reset (turning it off using the power button, and turning it back on).

At this point, I was able to sign in, and the loading bar would come up, but it would stop around 3/4 of the way. By stop, I mean it would completely stop, and I would wait about 15-20 minutes to see if it would continue and it would not. So, I started searching for ways to fix this and tried using the Recovery Tools.

In Disk Utility, I'd noticed that the HDD was completely full, all 500 GB were used up. That didn't seem right at all to me, so I bit the bullet and figured I might as well erase everything because a lot of what was taking up the system was old schoolwork and projects. I proceeded to erase the contents of Macintosh HD, which seemed to be successful. After that, I knew I had to reinstall the OS, so I did that.

Now, call me impatient, but I was very patient at first. I've reinstalled the OS in the past, and had no problems before. It was going well this time, doing the usual jumps in ETA going from 1 hour and 22 minutes to 2 hours and 11 minutes, which seemed normal to me. Then at one point, after about an hour of waiting, it just stopped at "3 hours and 30 minutes remaining". I waited about 30 minutes to see if it would continue, and it just wouldn't. I could recall in the past being able to stop the install and continue it later, so I tried to do that. I cancelled it and tried again, only this time, my Macintosh HD disk would not show up. In essence, my startup disk just disappeared.

So, I did another hard reset, and now my MBP goes to a gray screen with a blinking folder that has a "?" on it. I am only able to load Internet Recovery Options, but I am unable to do anything with "500.11 GB APPLE HDD". I cannot verify, repair, erase, partition, or format it at all. I have tried many things to no avail.

So, I called Apple, and they scheduled a Genius Bar Reservation which I'm very unhappy about since the closest Apple Store to me is in another state. (I was able to find one that I felt was easier to get to, but I still don't want to go.)

I talked to one of my friends about the issue, he is a Networking/IT Major (I am a CS Major, but I don't know much about hardware issues). I described what happened, and he said it seems like symptoms of hardware failure. He suggested I get an SSD and replace the HDD.

I am not worried about the actual installation of the SSD or a new HDD, I am worried if that is even the issue, plus I am worried about the next step after installing the SSD. How will I get the OS onto the SSD?

Now, I am just looking for any possible suggestions. I am going to take it to the Apple Store tomorrow anyway for my appointment, but that is just so they can diagnose the problem and see how much they will charge to fix it? My friend isn't an expert in Apple products, so I'm asking those of you who would know more about this to please enlighten me if you agree this is a failing HDD issue and if I should buy an SSD and if so, how will I get Mac OSX back onto the computer?

Product Specs
MacBook Pro - Mid-2012 - 13.3" Display

Storage - 2.5 GHz - 500 GB 5400 RPM HDD

Memory - 2.5 GHz - 4GB DDR3 Memory

Processor - 2.5 GHz - Dual-core Intel i5 Processor

Last Running Latest Version of OS X El Capitan - (It seems to be running Mavericks in Internet Recovery)

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), Runs Mavericks in Internet Recovery

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 7:07 PM

(If you have the Apple store do it for you, they will just install it inside originally. Then again, they have the entire Apple organization to fall back on, and they have done this so many times they can do it in their sleep.)

The way you replace a hard drive painlessly is buy an External Enclosure for the new drive at the same time. You can choose a regular rotating notebook-sized (2.5-in) drive or an SSD in a notebook form factor. SSD is more money, but faster and cooler and has no motor so it uses less power.

Then Install Mac OS X on the new drive while it is in the enclosure, then boot from the drive in the enclosure. The enclosure does not need to be fancy or fast.

Once you have everything the way you want, then do the "surgery" to move the new drive inside.

This make the installation much easier, because you can get the old Recovery HD to help you install the new Mac OS X, and even gives you some time to fiddle with the old drive if you like.

The biggest improvement in this scheme is that it separates any issue from Installation and working of the new Drive from any issue from "surgery", and makes it less complicated because you do only one step at a time.

--------

At the end of the process you have an extra enclosure. So buy another, bigger drive to put in it and start using Time Machine so you don't lose your stuff again.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2016 7:07 PM in response to t_yamz

(If you have the Apple store do it for you, they will just install it inside originally. Then again, they have the entire Apple organization to fall back on, and they have done this so many times they can do it in their sleep.)

The way you replace a hard drive painlessly is buy an External Enclosure for the new drive at the same time. You can choose a regular rotating notebook-sized (2.5-in) drive or an SSD in a notebook form factor. SSD is more money, but faster and cooler and has no motor so it uses less power.

Then Install Mac OS X on the new drive while it is in the enclosure, then boot from the drive in the enclosure. The enclosure does not need to be fancy or fast.

Once you have everything the way you want, then do the "surgery" to move the new drive inside.

This make the installation much easier, because you can get the old Recovery HD to help you install the new Mac OS X, and even gives you some time to fiddle with the old drive if you like.

The biggest improvement in this scheme is that it separates any issue from Installation and working of the new Drive from any issue from "surgery", and makes it less complicated because you do only one step at a time.

--------

At the end of the process you have an extra enclosure. So buy another, bigger drive to put in it and start using Time Machine so you don't lose your stuff again.

Feb 8, 2016 7:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

So, just to get this straight, you're saying buy a 2.5" SSD or HDD and also buy an external enclosure for the new SSD. Then, go into Recovery and install the OS on the SSD externally. Once it is complete, replace the old HDD with the new SSD, and hold onto the enclosure for future use with another storage device?

My questions to this are,

- Will I be able to install the OS on the SSD from Internet Recovery without any issues? The Built-in recovery tools don't seem to open, it just takes me to internet recovery when I press Command + R.

- Is there a particular enclosure that you would recommend for this?

- Based on what I've said, do you think these are symptoms of hard drive failure?

Feb 8, 2016 7:21 PM in response to t_yamz

First ... all drives die, SSD and HD. Best to replace the old HD before it starts to sound like a machine-gun which IS a sign of impending death.

Second ... I use this enclosure http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/. Pricier at $72, but has USB 2.0/3.0 and Firewire 400/800. Not simple nescessarily, but hold the drive stable in the case which does count when you have the drive active. I swap several WD 750 GB Black 7200 spin drives through it for various uses.

Third ... I suggest downloading CarbonCopyClone ($40, bobmich.com). It makes a complete bootable copy of the internal drive while the drive is active from the partition itself, including the Recovery Partition. Later use CCC for an incremental regular backup of the drive.

Feb 8, 2016 7:38 PM in response to t_yamz

Your internal drive sounds dead from what you have said. It does not seem likely to perk up.

- Will I be able to install the OS on the SSD from Internet Recovery without any issues? The Built-in recovery tools don't seem to open, it just takes me to internet recovery when I press Command + R.

If Recovery (from the old drive) does not open, then your old drive is even more likely to be dead.

Internet Recovery will allow you to install the original Mac OS X that shipped in the box, and then you can use that to install a later version you may have purchased.

- Is there a particular enclosure that you would recommend for this?

for casual use, just about any enclosure will do.

- Based on what I've said, do you think these are symptoms of hard drive failure?

You cant write new data to the drive. You can't get any more failed than that, except to have the drive never appear.

Feb 8, 2016 7:36 PM in response to steve359

I understand that they all die at some point or another, I should have pointed out that I've only had the computer for a little more than a year. I don't think I'll be spending $72 on an external enclosure. I'm hoping the more affordable ones that I've found on Amazon will do the trick.

Also, for the "CCC", are you talking for the future? For making accurate backups of my files or to restore my current disk?

I appreciate the suggestions though, and I am considering everything with my budget.

Feb 8, 2016 7:47 PM in response to t_yamz

One of the least-expensive options is http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NVSPATA/ -- $27. Just multiple cables and power-blocks connecting the computer to the drive -- useful for connecting 3.5/2.5 in drives and SATA/IDE to a computer . But drives make heat which the enclosure has a heat-sink for, as well as enclosing all but the single connecting cable. But do as you will with your money.

CCC is good for the future. Re-reading ... if your old drive is as unstable as it appears, install to the new SSD from the outset. Then buy brand-new disks to make backups after installing CCC to your new/stable system.

MacBook Pro - Failing HDD - What are my options?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.