Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to upgrade 2011 macbook pro 13 inch with SSD? Would any SSD work?

I have a 2011 macbook pro 13 inch but the hard drive is slow and I am planning to get an ssd. I would like to know how to upgrade my mac with a new sad and if any sad would work.

Thank you

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 6:45 PM

2 replies

Feb 8, 2016 8:24 PM in response to ab0217

They may "work" but unlike hard disk drives there are unique concerns that apply to SSDs. One might, for example, require a firmware update for which the manufacturer supplies installers that will only work on Windows PCs.

The only aftermarket SSDs I have used and can recommend are sold by OWC / MacSales, and of them I have only used the ones with a five year guarantee. The oldest of them are now older than that and I have never experienced a problem with any of them.

Certain SSDs may work well initially but will fail or become so slow as to be unusable when they reach a certain time in service. Samsung SSDs for example have a generally poor reputation among Mac users. Complaints regarding Samsung SSDs are commonly reported on this site whereas OWC's have literally none.

Feb 8, 2016 8:38 PM in response to ab0217

I use a Crucial SSD in my 2011 MBP for 2 years. I do not have the same history as John Galt for my recommendation but have no complaint yet. Perhaps OWC is a safer bet and I am just as likely to get an OWC for my next purchase as another Crucial ... both are recommended.

As to how ...

Get an external enclosure that can take any 2.5 in drive (I use this one now http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MSTG800U3K/). Download CarbonCopyClone ($40, bombich.com) to clone the internal to the new external SSD (including the Recovery Partition). Then once the SSD is fully functioning to your satisfaction do the surgery to swap.

How to upgrade 2011 macbook pro 13 inch with SSD? Would any SSD work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.