Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ID password not working with app store

hi guys,

wierd issue here. i tried to update an app but it told me my password was incorrect. i know it's not because i signed into 'my apple id' with it without any problems but when i tried the app store again i told me it was incorrect again. can't guess what the problem might be. HELP!!!!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 7:08 PM

When the request for the password displays, are you seeing the exact same Apple ID that you are signing in to "My Apple ID"?

If you purchased the app under a different Apple ID, then the password for that Apple ID would be required to update.

Cheers,

GB

9 replies

Feb 9, 2016 5:54 AM in response to hatemkati

You are most welcome, and thanks for the thanks 🙂 (we don't get that much during the actual troubleshooting process....)

The next thing I would suggest is as follows:

1. Go to Settings>iTunes & App Store, and sign out

2.. Make sure that your iTunes Store and App Store apps are completely closed by double-clicking the Home Key and swiping up on the iTunes and the App Store icons

3. Reset your device (nothing will be lost): Hold down the Home and Power buttons at the same time and continue to hold them down until the Apple appears (up to 30 seconds). Once the Slide to Unlock Screen displays, see if you can now sign into the iTunes & App Store

Cheers,

GB

Feb 11, 2016 11:06 PM in response to hatemkati

Well, not sure what specifically you are concerned about losing, so not able to guide you there. I can tell you that I have backed up both my iPhone 4 and my iPhone 5s to iCloud, then erased and restored them (for testing purposes), and they have restored to the condition they were in prior to the erase. It takes awhile for the apps to reload, but other than that I have not noticed anything missing.

If you do decide to go the restore route, I would recommend that you first set up the phone as a new device (not from the backup), then sign into iTunes and see if you are able to get things working the way you would expect them to. If that works, then erase again and then restore from the backup. After everything is done restoring, try the sign in again, and see if the problem comes back.

If it does, then you know that you have some corruption in your data or apps, and you may have to set it up as a new phone and manually restore it bit by bit (checking as you go so if there is a specific app or other item you are putting back on the device that is the culprit).

This can be a bit time-consuming, but if there is some specific app or media that is causing the issue, this route would allow you to isolate it.

Best of luck!

GB

Aug 20, 2016 6:09 PM in response to hatemkati

I have recently had an issue like this where we have family sharing between devices. My phone has a separate Apple ID as does my iPad so that iMessage and other work properly separate from my wife's devices with our original ID. We then share between devices using the iCloud-Family settings. This has worked really well for a year.

But now I am being prompted for a password on my phone for our original ID for Apps purchased with that ID. I enter the password, which works perfectly well on all other devices, but won't work on my phone for the past month for some reason (new iOS 9.3.4 recently installed). I even logged in on line and was prompted for a new password (not enough characters in old one) and have reset that password on all devices, but same problem persists on my iPhone where I am trying to update Apps purchased from original ID ...

Feels like an iOS 9.3.4 issue particular to my iPhone 5s. Any ideas out there?

ID password not working with app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.