Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I deal with my unresponsive iPod shuffle?

So, I've tried doing many different things and I've tried plugging my iPod into my Mac but the Mac says that there's no devices plugged in. I've also had this problems for a couple years. Any suggestions?

iPod shuffle

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 7:11 PM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2016 7:26 PM in response to Tanxa

First, make sure the USB docking cable is fully inserted into the shuffle's headphones jack, as shown in this document

iPod shuffle (4th generation): Not seen in iTunes - Apple Support

If that's not the problem, are you using the USB docking cable that came with the shuffle. Some third-party replacement docking cables are for the older 2nd gen shuffle, and they do not work with 4th gen shuffle.

If you are using a proper cable, when you connect it to the Mac (using a direct USB port on the Mac), watch the shuffle's light. What does it do? Does it come on and blink? Does it just show a steady (solid) light? Does it not come on at all?

Feb 8, 2016 9:30 PM in response to Tanxa

If the light does not stay ON (and also the red color), that can mean the battery is not able to charge or the shuffle is not getting enough power from the port.

As a test, shut down (power off) the Mac and disconnect all USB devices. You can leave standard USB keyboard/mouse connected, if used. Put the shuffle's power switch in the OFF position, if it is currently ON. Start up the Mac, run iTunes, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the Mac by itself.

As another test, if you happen to have a USB power adapter, like the one that comes with iPhone or other device, connect the shuffle's docking cable to it, and connect the shuffle there. Does the shuffle's light come ON? It should be solid orange (amber) when changing and become green when fully changed.

How do I deal with my unresponsive iPod shuffle?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.