Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Staingate repair

Hello everyone,

I've just had my macbook pro 13" screen replaced for free in Bangkok (I live here) for free by Apple, which I'm pretty happy about considering they don't have an official store here (the part came from Singapore and a third party service centre performed the "operation" - thanks iService Siam!)

I'm now wondering if I have a screen which is the same as the original; meaning in 7+ months the stains will come back.Or if Apple have resolved the problem and replacement won't be affected.

I've purchased a screen protector as my keyboard seemed to start my stains.

Basically, I'd just like to know if Apple have been making screens without the problem, or if I'll be changing my screen again.

Thanks in advance.

Alex

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 6:47 PM

12 replies

Jan 11, 2017 10:46 AM in response to AlexMilne

For what it's worth - I had my screen replaced on my 15" MBP under the quality program in November 2015 (purchased in November 2014). I'm now in the process of trying to get THAT screen replaced, as it's doing EXACTLY the same thing.

I'll stress that I'm very cautious about my machine since I use it for work and take very good care of it. My first-gen 17" unibody mac never had this issue - but I'll also say there is a vast difference in the build quality between that machine and this one.

Feb 11, 2016 2:28 AM in response to jamesluvo

Apple Authorized Service Providers, not to be confused with an Apple Retail Store, are owned and operated independently of Apple but have to honor Apple warranties, AppleCare Protection Plans, and repair extension programs.

https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/

jamesluvo wrote:

Hi Alex,

I am living in Kenya with a staingate problem. Apple does not have an official store here. What was the process to have Apple replace your screen by a third party?

Many thanks!

James

Use this link to find an Apple Authorized Service Provider in Kenya. https://locate.apple.com/ke/en/

Feb 25, 2016 5:47 PM in response to AlexMilne

In Ye Olde Days of the Titanium Powerbooks, many of us discovered that the keys would manage to touch the screen when the lid was closed. The oils and grime deposited by the fingers on the keys would transfer over plus since these Macs had a thin film antiglare finish from factory, the shape of the keys would get imprinted as well. After awhile, the pristine screen was no more. So the Standard Solution was to get something to put between screen and keyboard, cut to size. You either ambled over to your nearest Tandy or similar leather hobby shop and got yourself a rectangle of the thinnest fine leather they had (in the appropriate fashion color, of course...) or some accessory makers began selling the same in microfiber and other materials.

Feb 25, 2016 11:52 PM in response to Courcoul

Hi Courcoul,

Thats interesting. On this latest delaminating issue Some have described how the key pattern on the screen looks worn _between_ the keys , and also that it could be some sort of gasing coming from the keyboard?

I'm not sure, but the pictures, if you look closely, seem to show dark shapes where the keys are and white marks in the gaps.

I wonder if the leather may help these gases escape rather than mark the screen, if that is the case with clearly a weaker screen than of old.

Feb 26, 2016 5:48 AM in response to AlexMilne

AlexMilne wrote:

Basically, I'd just like to know if Apple have been making screens without the problem, or if I'll be changing my screen again.

First, Apple doesn’t make its glass, it purchases LCD displays from several sources just as all other manufacturers do. Second, Apple hasn’t officially commented on the source of the problem or what its manufacturing partners have done to mitigate it. The only thing we know for certain is a) replacing LCDs under the original and extended warranty costs Apple and b) Apple almost certainly is expecting the LCD supplier to share the burden, C) they want to solve the problem so it stops costing them both $$$ and reputation.

For what it is worth, my wife and I both have 2015 rMBP computers and closing on a year’s use neither are affected. (That’s not to say we won’t be, just that so far we aren’t. But most people saw the problem appearing well before the first year had ended.)

After Staingate repair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.