Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air F2 Key Not Working

Hello. I have a MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2012) with 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 and 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. I am running OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. My F2 key has stopped working so I can't adjust my screen brightness upward without having to manually go into System Preferences and change it (which is really annoying). Is there a way to fix this or at least make it so that a different function key (like F3, which I never use) can adjust the brightness upward instead? Thank you

MacBook Air (11-inch Mid 2012)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 7:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 6:28 AM

Greetings kk97,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the F2 key on your Mac’s built in keyboard isn’t responding as expected. To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would recommend reading over and working through the steps located in the following article.

Your keyboard has one or more keys that don't respond

Use the Keyboard Viewer to test whether the keyboard keys are responding correctly when they are pressed.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then select Language & Text.
  2. Select Input Sources.
  3. Select the Keyboard & Character Viewer checkbox.
  4. Enable the input source for the keyboard layout you're testing by selecting the checkbox next to it.
  5. Make sure that "Show Input menu in menu bar" is enabled.
  6. Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu in the menu bar.
  7. The Keyboard Viewer showing the keyboard layout appears on your display.
  8. Type the key on the keyboard that doesn’t respond and see if the corresponding key highlights on the Keyboard Viewer. If it does, that key is functioning correctly.

Notes:

• If the mouse keys feature in the Universal Access System Preferences pane is enabled, many of the keyboard keys may not respond as expected.
  • If issues persist, try starting up your Mac in single-user mode to see whether a software issue is causing the issue.

If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad aren't working as expected - Apple Support

Have a great day!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2016 6:28 AM in response to kk97

Greetings kk97,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that the F2 key on your Mac’s built in keyboard isn’t responding as expected. To begin troubleshooting this situation, I would recommend reading over and working through the steps located in the following article.

Your keyboard has one or more keys that don't respond

Use the Keyboard Viewer to test whether the keyboard keys are responding correctly when they are pressed.

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu, then select Language & Text.
  2. Select Input Sources.
  3. Select the Keyboard & Character Viewer checkbox.
  4. Enable the input source for the keyboard layout you're testing by selecting the checkbox next to it.
  5. Make sure that "Show Input menu in menu bar" is enabled.
  6. Choose Show Keyboard Viewer from the Input menu in the menu bar.
  7. The Keyboard Viewer showing the keyboard layout appears on your display.
  8. Type the key on the keyboard that doesn’t respond and see if the corresponding key highlights on the Keyboard Viewer. If it does, that key is functioning correctly.

Notes:

• If the mouse keys feature in the Universal Access System Preferences pane is enabled, many of the keyboard keys may not respond as expected.
  • If issues persist, try starting up your Mac in single-user mode to see whether a software issue is causing the issue.

If your Apple wireless mouse, keyboard, or trackpad aren't working as expected - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Feb 11, 2016 3:02 PM in response to AppleJoe

Thank you for the help. I tried that and the viewer did not show any response from my F2 key when it was being pressed. It did show responses from all other keys I tried including other function keys. I assume this means that the F2 key is broken. I guess then my only option is to maybe somehow make it so that my F3 key adjusts screen brightness upwards instead? Thanks

Feb 14, 2016 6:13 AM in response to kk97

Greetings kk97,

Thanks for replying back with this information. Because you are not able to see the F2 key depressed while using the Keyboard & Character Viewer, I would suggest contacting Apple directly about this situation. Contacting AppleCare will allow us to look further into this situation so that we can provide you the best possible options and support.

MacBook Air - Contact Support - Apple Support

Have a great day!

Feb 15, 2016 9:43 PM in response to kk97

Literally having this exact problem! I have a mid 2011 Macbook Air with a 1.6 GHz & i5 processor and 4GB memory and for the life of me I CAN NOT get the f2 key to work. Checked the keyboard viewer and it's not even registering while every other key is. I have no idea what to do. I've had my computer for four years, it shouldn't be crapping out on me!

Macbook Air F2 Key Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.