Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Parental Controls make Chrome unuseable and Google docs won't work in Safari.

Hello world,

Thanks all for reading and your expertise, we could use some help with parental controls on mac os. I'll post this to chrome, google docs, and mac forums.

I attempt to limit access to adult content on my imac using apple's parental controls for my kids.

Whenever my child attempts to use the computer to work on her homework, she often is required to use Google docs, and research various topics. She also frequently references the school's site on school loop. Chrome doesn't seem compatible with the settings, and Safari doesn't appear compatible with google docs.

First regarding Chrome:

It's constantly popping up sites that are not allowed, even as you try to type in search fields. To allow those sites, she needs a parent with administrative rights sitting with her - which isn't a realistic option (hence the reason for parental controls).

What alarms me is that Chrome is attempting to access so many sites, which my daughter isn't accessing. Below is a screen shot of a list of sites it tried to access, when I logged in and attempted to access her school website, and then tried to access some google search results . Is this be some sort of virus or malware?

User uploaded file

Some of the ip addresses were unknown when I was looking them up. An earlier session and some of these included:

linkedin

facebook

akami tech

amazon

A quick session in chrome trying to open a couple pages led to about 60 of these sites being accessed.

Sometimes Chrome just won't load pages, reporting them as not available. Below are screen shots using the two apps, accessing the exact same site. This was after restarting Chrome. I refreshed them at the same time.

Here's chrome's version:

User uploaded file

Here's the one where it's working in safari.

User uploaded file

The reason we're trying to use Chrome is that Google docs doesn't work for her account in Safari. She can access her drive, but when she opens a file, it starts to load (you can see the content briefly), then the 'safari web content' quits, the browser tab goes blank, flashes an error, tries to reload, and sometimes loops that behavior. Here's that error:

User uploaded file

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2016 10:30 PM

I have this same problem. This is rather stupid. If you set parental controls then the kids know that parental controls have been set due to all the errors that keep popping up mentioning parental controls in place. Kids get upset then about parental controls being placed on their computer. Should be able to do this in a discreet way. Parental controls should be discreet and not keep popping up on screen letting kids know that parental control is on.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2016 10:30 PM in response to Bizzwell

I have this same problem. This is rather stupid. If you set parental controls then the kids know that parental controls have been set due to all the errors that keep popping up mentioning parental controls in place. Kids get upset then about parental controls being placed on their computer. Should be able to do this in a discreet way. Parental controls should be discreet and not keep popping up on screen letting kids know that parental control is on.

Dec 10, 2016 1:06 PM in response to Anthony Del Balso

I actually attribute this to Google and Chrome. It seems the Google is doing something that requires accessing a lot of sites just by using Chrome, many of which are simply IP addresses.

My kids need to access a particular site for math (Tenmarks). It isn't a Google site, but Chrome requires accessing a lot of different sites to access Tenmarks while Safari does not. Example: https://172.217.5.109 -- why on earth would I want to approve a site like that? What is Google doing?

Like Google Docs, however, Tenmarks is not fully functional on Safari.

I don't know if there is any solution that allows whitelisting and also allows using Chrome when it does this.

Aug 15, 2017 11:41 AM in response to Anthony Del Balso

I am having the same issue. This likely has to do with two concurrent issues. First, it is likely that google is optimizing http requests by sending them to the 'most available' server (ip). Second they are likely using new javascript builds that rebuild and reload the page with each user interaction (key stroke, mouse movement), etc. This allows you to build pages dynamically and do things like predict / autofill forms, rebuild the page based on mousemovements, etc. The issue of course is that parental controls works by screening each http request. So, these are essentially unlableled http requests and get flagged, even though each of these ip's is in fact associated with google. This is not a fix that can be made on the user side without loosening the parental control restrictions. Also, because most sites are turning to the same js build tools to optimize traffic/interactions, it's likely that an increasing number of sites/services will conflict with apple's parental controls.

Feb 10, 2016 6:29 AM in response to Anthony Del Balso

Here's a follow up. No takers on this one?

I verified this is the parental controls by turning off the web restrictions, that both chrome and safari work normally. Then I turned on parental controls, "try to limit access to adult websites automatically" and both started acting improperly again.

Could someone validate that this is not functional on their system? I'm on yosemite 10.10.5, and the latest safari. Turn on parental controls "try to limit access to adult websites automatically" and try to access a google doc or presentation.

Jun 1, 2016 8:00 AM in response to Anthony Del Balso

Hi Anthony.

I can verify this is not just you. We also have this problem attempting to restrict adult content on IOS. We rely heavily on Google Docs. A couple months ago, I went around to all of our iPads (approx. 50) and enforced Limit Adult Content, under the Website Restrictions. What a nightmare! Now, we get frequent errors when staff are trying to use Google Docs. Why Google Docs is considered adult content is above me, but usually if you enter docs.google.com under "always allow" it will allow your daughter to use Google Docs to do her homework.

Hope this helps!

Dec 10, 2016 1:45 PM in response to Brent D.

Google or Chrome seem to be needing access to

All kinds of websites. Something is wrong here and Apple should look into this. Something is very wrong here.

Just try blocking 3 websites only with parental controls and see what happens. Even sites not blocked can not be accessed on Chrome and all kinds of notices pop up letting child know you applied parental controls which upset child. Apple needs to fix this!!

Parental Controls make Chrome unuseable and Google docs won't work in Safari.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.