Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

combining two people to one computer itunes

my husband and I are going to buy a new computer and get rid of our separate ones (they are old). We both have iTunes. we want to collect our respective music and put it all together on the new computer. his 2009 computer isn't letting us get in to his account to de-authorize his account (it pretty much stopped running all of his programs), which is okay cuz he had only used 1 of his 5. I was able to copy his library onto an external drive. I have used all 5 of my authorizations because I have gone through several computers and a couple weren't de-authorized cuz I didn't know of such things at the time. We haven't decided if we are buying another pc or a mac. Either way we want 1 iTunes library and 1 iTunes account. I would be okay with dumping one of our separate iTunes accounts as long as that person doesn't lose any of their music. We also have an Ipad and an iphone which is used with my iTunes/apple account. we don't run iTunes on either. would appreciate knowledge and any recommendations. if we go mac, I want to be able to transfer all my pc files to it and don't know how seamless that is. thank you in advance for your help.

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 8:56 PM

3 replies

Feb 10, 2016 7:47 AM in response to idsummitgirl

Howdy idsummitgirl,

It sounds like you are looking to consolidate all of the content from two Apple ID accounts into one. Apple ID accounts cannot be merged, nor can purchases from one be transferred to another.

See: Sign in with your Apple ID on a new device - Apple Support

If you have multiple Apple IDs, you can’t merge them.

That being said, you could setup Family Sharing to be able to download the contents of both accounts to an iTunes application that has been authorized. Also take a look at this info from the following article:

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I share an Apple ID with someone else?

Your Apple ID should not be shared with anyone else. It provides access to personal information including contacts, photos, device backups, and more. Sharing your Apple ID with someone else means you are giving them access to all your personal content and may lead to confusion over who actually owns the account. To share iTunes & App Store purchases, photos, a calendar, and more with someone else, try Family Sharing, iCloud Photo Sharing, or other easy-to-use sharing features.

As far as you having used all 5 of your authorizations, there is a feature that will allow you to deauthorize all the computers that have been authorized, for situations just like yours:

If you run out of authorizations

If one of your 5 authorizations is on a computer you don't use much anymore, deauthorize it. If you've sold or given away a computer that used one of your 5 authorizations, you'll need to deauthorize all of your computers and then re-authorize each one that you still use.

Also for your consideration about moving from a PC to a Mac, there is a automated program called Migration Assistant built into a Mac that will help facilitate moving your data from the PC to the Mac as well. I haven't personally used it yet but it looks pretty intuitive from the looks of the following article:

Move your data from a Windows PC to a Mac

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities, all the best!

combining two people to one computer itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.