Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can the older minis handle Final Cut??

Can the older minis (2011/2012) handle Final Cut well?? What's the minimum I should buy??

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 9:03 PM

6 replies

Feb 9, 2016 7:56 AM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

David Bogie Chq-1 wrote:

My older mini with only 2g RAM was more or less ruined by Yosemite and ElCapitan; turned it into a dirty, cold, and sluggish sludge. Every mouse click takes 10-25 seances to respond and starting up take 3 minutes.

It might work well with 16G RAM, no way for me to know.

Any mac with only 2GB will suffer under a recent version of the OS. Add a rotating hard drive and it will be painful.

But take any mac that can run El Capitan (which, surprisingly, can be something from 2007), put in an SSD and at least 4GB or 8GB and it will work very well (maybe not for demanding software like FCP X).

Feb 16, 2016 10:14 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis, thanks, man! I put 8G in the Old Gal for less than $75. Holy cow! It's like having a NEW computer! Just never occurred to me to check the RAM for that machine because it had worked gloriously right up to Yosemite and ElCap. Thank you for the simple but elusive tip. You saved me about US$500 (cost of newer refurbished MacMini).

Can the older minis handle Final Cut??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.