Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imap mailbox - changing servers parameters and possibile data loss

Hi everyone,

I have the following situation:

• IPAD with a mailbox configured to be IMAP
  • The domain for that mailbox has been transfered from a maintainer to another
  • The mailbox has been recreated on the new mailserver using new parameters (imap server address, smtp, new passwords, new ports)

I now have to update the mailbox account on Ipad with the new parameters in order to let the ipad mailbox syncronize with the server.

Is there any chance that I will loose all the mails I have on the ipad because of this parameters updates? As the imap server is different, will this cause any data loss?

I mean, the old server was:

mail.domain.com

the new one is:

imaps.domain.com

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Phone support in Italy told me that "I won't possibly loose anything...we suppose".

Is there any chance to be more precise about the matter?

Thank you very much for your help.

iPad 3G

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:37 PM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2016 9:15 AM in response to enkodo

enkodo wrote:

Is there any chance that I will loose all the mails I have on the ipad because of this parameters updates? As the imap server is different, will this cause any data loss?

I mean, the old server was:

mail.domain.com

the new one is:

imaps.domain.com

Any hint is highly appreciated.

Phone support in Italy told me that "I won't possibly loose anything...we suppose".

Is there any chance to be more precise about the matter?

Thank you very much for your help.

No, technically you will not lose anything. IMAP protocol allows clients (your iPad) to leave all messages on the server side. The only possibility of losing your mailbox content is if the provider messes things up during the migration to their new mail server.

Feb 9, 2016 12:00 PM in response to enkodo

Empty? It sounds like the mail provider has not copied/moved/migrated the content of the old mail server to the new mail server. Changing mail account server names and ports have nothing to do with losing your mailbox content. That action will not delete the content from your old mailbox (exception: POP3 account setup may delete your mailbox content).

Does your mail provider have any plan to move/copy/migrate the content of the old mailbox to the new one? Have they executed that plan yet? If not, wait until the migration to the new server is completed.

additional comment

Migrating mailbox content from old to new server is not something you can do. That is the job of your mail provider. If they don't plan to do that, you will have to find a way to preserve the content of your old mailbox. Contact your mail provider.

Feb 10, 2016 3:05 AM in response to ShagCA

Thank you ShagCA.

The old hosting provider didn't provide any migration plan for the imap mail boxes.

So we opted for synchronizing the devices with the mail server BEFORE the hosting migration. We have bought a new Mac and would like to synchronize it as well, but now the mailbox ONLINE is empty and the only one filled is the one on the Ipad.

In the meantime, the mailbox has changed its config parameters, because of the hosting migration.

From that, my question about changing the parameters in the config of the Ipad, synchronize back the server ON the Ipad, then synchronize the remaining devices (new Mac, Iphone, another Ipad) ON the server. (Sorry if I misuse the ON preposition...it's just for understanding the flow of sync).

The process of changing the config parameters on the Ipad scares me a lot. I've never done it before and the fact that I am not sure I will still find the entire mass of mails in its place once I've done, drives me crazy. We cannot loose those email, no matter what.

I hope to have been more detailed in this reply.

Anyway, thank you very much for you support.

Feb 10, 2016 9:51 AM in response to enkodo

> We have bought a new Mac and would like to synchronize it as well, but now the mailbox ONLINE is empty and the only one filled is the one on the Ipad.

Are you talking about the same mailbox? If so, it sounds like you've downloaded the content of that mailbox to your iPad. That does not sound like an IMAP setup. It sounds like you setup your iPad with POP3 account.

> The process of changing the config parameters on the Ipad scares me a lot. I've never done it before and the fact that I am not sure I will still find the entire mass of mails in its place once I've done, drives me crazy. We cannot loose those email, no matter what.

If that's the case, do not remove the old mail account from your iPad mail setup. Instead, add a new IMAP mail account that points to the new server (with the new username, parameters etc). I have never tried this before but you may be able to copy the content of your old mailbox (Inbox etc) and paste it on the new mailbox (Inbox).

imap mailbox - changing servers parameters and possibile data loss

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.