Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backup or not? Replacing Graphics Card

Hello guys,

I was wondering whether or not i had to backup my data on my imac when getting the graphics card replaced as there were 5 green lines on the start up screen. I have found my exact problem else where on this this community but the thing is i am unable to access the disk utility to backup from time machine.

THanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 8, 2016 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 1:18 AM

Yes, you should always backup before performing any hardware replacements, or sending your computer for service.

Disk Utility has nothing to do with Time Machine, or backups, so I'm not sure what's the issue that you're concerned about is. Please explain, or post a more detailed explanation.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 1:18 AM in response to Dhhs

Yes, you should always backup before performing any hardware replacements, or sending your computer for service.

Disk Utility has nothing to do with Time Machine, or backups, so I'm not sure what's the issue that you're concerned about is. Please explain, or post a more detailed explanation.

Feb 9, 2016 12:10 AM in response to Rysz

Oh ok, thnx for the fast reply. I think i mightve misread something but anyways, the thing is i cant login or get pass the start up screen with the loading bar. Even if the loading bar does finish, my screen just turns all white and i cant do anything about it. Is there anything that i can do?

Feb 9, 2016 6:35 AM in response to Dhhs

The simplest solution would be to startup you Mac from a System on an external drive, if you do have a bootable external drive. If not, then Perform Apple Diagnostics as outlined in this article: OS X El Capitan: Use Apple Diagnostics or Apple Hardware Test

Other options...

First, restart your computer while holding down the Shift key. This will boot your iMac into Safe Mode, which bypasses any extensions or startup items that might be causing a problem. Safe Mode takes much longer to boot, so give it time. If the Mac boots, you have a software conflict and need to remove startup items and extensions in order to isolate the bad one. It is also a good idea to disconnect all external drives and other accessories while doing this.

If that doesn't help, you need to boot into Recovery Disk by holding down the Command + R keys while starting up. This will give you access to Disk Utility, which you can then use to verify and repair your main hard drive. See OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Feb 9, 2016 6:40 AM in response to Dhhs

You can try the above suggestion. As a point of information, you should be backing up on a regular basis regardless of whether you have planned any system changes or not. Backups are there so that you can recover from a failure or other disaster.

You may be familiar with the saying "closing the barn door after the horses have gone"...?

Backup or not? Replacing Graphics Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.