Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there key shortcut to remove all gaps in connected or primary storyline?

Is there keyboard shortcut to close ALL gaps in connected clips or primary timeline?

I want to move all clips to be next to each other and removed all gaps between clips. This ensures I don’t have blank spaces between clips

I thought I saw this keyboard shortcut in ripple tutorial to select all clips in timeline and move all together removing gaps. But I cannot find the tutorial anymore.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 12:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:23 PM

press shift-command-2 for the timeline index. in the clips tab (showing "all" at the bottom), search for "gap" and all instances of gap appear. click one of them in the list, and then command-a to select them all. then, delete

9 replies

Feb 10, 2016 2:37 PM in response to James Cude

It tried it and that is pretty awesome trick for primary storyline. Thanks!

But Is it possible to do the same and join clips together and remove gaps for clips NOT in primary storyline. I swear I saw this in online Ripple final cut tutorial video but I cannot find the video.

My workflow is that I normally go thru primary storyline and Lift from Storyline favorite clips that I want to use. But this creates a lot of clips that are separated from each other with gaps above the primary storyline. I then normally have to drag individually all these favorite clips back into primary storyline. It would be nice to just move all these clips together removing any gaps between clips above the primary storyline and then select and drag all the clips together into primary storyline.

Feb 11, 2016 12:46 AM in response to jinspin

jinspin wrote:

It tried it and that is pretty awesome trick for primary storyline. Thanks!

But Is it possible to do the same and join clips together and remove gaps for clips NOT in primary storyline. I swear I saw this in online Ripple final cut tutorial video but I cannot find the video.

My workflow is that I normally go thru primary storyline and Lift from Storyline favorite clips that I want to use. But this creates a lot of clips that are separated from each other with gaps above the primary storyline. I then normally have to drag individually all these favorite clips back into primary storyline. It would be nice to just move all these clips together removing any gaps between clips above the primary storyline and then select and drag all the clips together into primary storyline.

If you have a bunch of connected clips, select them, create a connected storyline (command-G). This will create gaps so as to keep the timing of the clips.

Then you may proceed as James indicated to remove all the gaps. Of course, this will completely change the timing of the connected clips, and I fail to see why you'd want to do this, but here it is.

Feb 11, 2016 4:34 AM in response to jinspin

jinspin wrote:

My workflow is that I normally go thru primary storyline and Lift from Storyline favorite clips that I want to use. But this creates a lot of clips that are separated from each other with gaps above the primary storyline. I then –…

You completely miss the intended workflow of FCPX 😁

The storyline isn't meant for previewing nor selecting nor favorizing material - that's all done in the Event Browser, which offers all the tools you need for your workflow.

There, you set In/out points (roughly) to mark material; you apply tags/keywords to those selections and FCPX will instantly 'group' this material, so for instance unwanted material isn't shown anymore.

After sorting your stuff/managing media, you start to edit: drag the parts into storyline. No gaps…

There's an excellent Intro to FCPX, the first 10 Lessons free, which covers these methods:

Lessons for FCPX <<link to US AppStore

from rippletraining.com

Following the concept of FCPX avoids all that time-consuming back'n forth and up'n down and to'n fro ... 😉

Mar 5, 2016 10:45 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

I do not like cutting the clips in the Event Browser. It is small window which feels claustrophobic and you see a much smaller number of clips than you can see in timeline. In timeline it is easier to see a lot of clips and helps me see big picture and organize and move the clips around. This was my workflow in Final Cut 7 and it still works better for me in Final Cut X.

I think forcing someone to cut clips in Event Browser is like forcing a specific workflow that has disadvantages that I stated above.

is there key shortcut to remove all gaps in connected or primary storyline?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.