Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

False critical alert from Apple - scam and/or virus??

A couple of days ago whilst browsingthem web ( English version of large, reputable German company) I received a pop up alert stating " Safari Alert , your iPad is locked for your protection call Apple Support on 0808 148 3688

I got my Son to look up Apple number on his mobile and realised it had nothing in common with the number above . As IPad was frozen I did a forced shutdown athe following that did a soft reset not had to reset wireless connection but did not wipe off any personal data and after this the pop up disappeared. My device is an unsupported Gen 1 iPad iOS 5.1.1. My question is how can I tell if my iPad has a virus and/or is safe to use? Also, I assume due to being unsupported its pointless my calling Apple? Any advice appreciated - other than telling me to buy an updated IPad which Unfortunately I cannot afford (this is first use since problem occurred)

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 1:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 10:04 AM

Any such popup will always be a scam. See below.

Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages

2 replies

False critical alert from Apple - scam and/or virus??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.