Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan not spinning faster when high temperature load

Hello guys, my macbook pro 13" mid-2012 has like 96°C temp under load (HWmonitor reading) but the fan stay at 2000rpm (smc fan control reading). Smc fan control show 80°C (lower than HWmonitor) and the fan still don't spin faster than 2000rpm. And when it's very hot in there, HWmonitor shows temperature alarm with cpu at 94°C and GPU at 96°C, fan still at 2000 rpm. I can manually put the fan at 6200 rpm with smc fan control and istat menu, and then the temp get lower (i have cleaned the fan and the radiator, there's no dust). There's no more automatic spinning fan management.. What do you think it is? Motherboard problem? Am on yosemite and have tested it on mountain lion fresh instal (just one time the fan did gets at 2500 rpm under ML during a test watching a 4K 60P youtube video).

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 1:52 AM

5 replies

Feb 9, 2016 3:39 AM in response to joedalfrommilooze

If the internal temperatures are in the 90°c range, the fans should be spinning at the maximun speed, 6200 rpm. Try a SMC reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

If no success, make an appointment at an Apple store genius bar for a FREE evaluation. You really should not have to use a third party fan control application. The OSX should be able to perform that function.

Ciao.

Feb 9, 2016 3:45 AM in response to John Galt

I have done that but when i press D on restart i got the internet recovery program thing appearing, not the AHT.. SMC and PRAM already reinitialized.. I have done a test with an heavy Cinema 4D project and a Premiere pro project rendering and, the fan finally quicks in when the GPU hits 101°C and CPU 98°C. Smcfan control is at 77°C when he quicks in the fan until 5000rpm and after some time temp are 90°C - 94°C for Cpu and GPU, smc sensor (near the cpu) at 77°C. Is that ok for the i5 ivy bridge in the mbp to run at those high temp? (i've done those test triyng to shutdown the mbp by overheating, but it didn't happen)..

Feb 9, 2016 11:38 AM in response to joedalfrommilooze

Press and hold option d while starting your Mac to invoke the Internet version of AHT.

Don't use clever third party hacks in an attempt to circumvent the Mac's cooling system. The fan is only one part of it. Increasing fan speed will only draw in additional airborne environmental contaminants, accelerating the need to eventually remove them.

Feb 9, 2016 2:06 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks John i will try alt+D on next restart.

After spending some time on the internet i've found multiple advice on that problem and 100°C loading MBP are strangely common, some people say it's within intel spec and Mac prefer silent MBP at 95-100°C, some other say it's totally not. So i don't know, it's my first MBP, it replace a Macbook no-unibody from 2008 that was 80% of the time at 90°C at 6200rpm, cleaned and thermal past changed, so..

I have installed Mac Fan Control it's free and it gives me total control on when and why the fan needs to kick in. Now at least it's manageable like my overclocked big hackintosh desktop. Fan starts at 65°C and go full blast at 80°C and the sensor is from cpu1. Much better! Like many other i don't know what to think about the mac's cooling system, some people have called the Mac tech phone and even them have multiple response depending on who's answering..

Can other people give info about their MBP's fan going naturally full blast under load? (rpm/°C)

Fan not spinning faster when high temperature load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.