Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

admin privileges on a early 2009 iMac

Hello, how can i get a new admin user on an old iMac iOS 10.7.5 i got as a present after it was not used a while and i can log only to the guest user?

Is there a way to format it or to add my Apple id account to the machine?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 4:38 AM

Exacttly which iMac? Look at About this Mac under the Apple menu in the top left and tell is what it says there. Just post the year, model and amount of ram. The previous owner should have erased the hard drive and reinstalled the original version of the OS before giving it to you and should have provided the install discs to you. Since they didn't that now falls to you. If the iMac is new enough you might be able to use Internet Recovery to reinstall the original OS OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support or you may need to purchase a retail Snow Leopard disc http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Knowing which iMac you have determines the first step

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 9, 2016 4:38 AM in response to erez0702

Exacttly which iMac? Look at About this Mac under the Apple menu in the top left and tell is what it says there. Just post the year, model and amount of ram. The previous owner should have erased the hard drive and reinstalled the original version of the OS before giving it to you and should have provided the install discs to you. Since they didn't that now falls to you. If the iMac is new enough you might be able to use Internet Recovery to reinstall the original OS OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support or you may need to purchase a retail Snow Leopard disc http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Knowing which iMac you have determines the first step

Feb 9, 2016 4:42 AM in response to SeaPapp

24-inch, Early 2009

Processor 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256 MB

Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08

Feb 9, 2016 5:51 AM in response to erez0702

Early 2009 shipped with install discs and cannot use Internet Recovery. You should purchase the Snow Leopard disc and erase and install that first then upgrade to the version you want to eventually run. If you have created any user files as the guest you'll need to back those up before erasing the hard drive.

admin privileges on a early 2009 iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.