Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Pencil: Multiplied

What the Apple Pencil needs, in order to make it both a viable teaching tool for sketch classes, painting classes, and even kindergarten classes, as well as a magnificent collaborative tool for groupwork, is the ability to use the pencil in more than one iPad at once, and the ability to use more than one pencil per iPad. I don't know if either of these are available just yet, but the possibilities are endless: from teaching your kid the ABCs as you hold your pencil and she holds hers (instead of going back and forth), to helping the artist next to you edit a sketch that she's working on (on her iPad) while you're working on your own sketch. Ultimately, even to have a teacher (or professor) go around the class and outline passages, make grammar notes, or edit the work of her students by having the one special Pencil "that rules them all." This type of collaboration would be prime

I'm not a computer guy, but I get the feeling that Bluetooth, by its very nature, is married to one device at a time, which means that in order to accomplish the tasks mentioned above we would have to resort to an inferior device that doesn't have the perfect tilt, the speed, and the feel of the Pencil -- or we'd have to wait for the next iteration of Bluetooth, that would hopefully allow for this type of dynamic collaboration.

If this type of thing is somehow possible with the Pencil now, I'd love for you guys to let me know. I suppose that's the question: can the Pencil be "multiplied" in such a manner in its current state? If not, I guess, food for thought.

thanks,

Jojo

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:57 AM

1 reply

The Pencil: Multiplied

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.