Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding audio clip without using video

Hello everyone,

I am currently putting together a video, but I don't actually have the video footage with me right now. I do have the audio footage though, which consist out of two separate audio tracks. I figured I'd use my current time to sync the audio files together, since they're not in sync yet. One track is computer audio, one is microphone audio.

I cannot figure out how to layer these two tracks in iMovie. When I import them and drag them down, they are put in the background layer automatically and I cannot drag them elsewhere or stack them at all.

I've read about adding audio tracks to your video clips, to make audio stack, but I have no video clips at this moment. Is this really the only way?

Thanks in advance.

iMovie 10, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:06 AM

1 reply

Feb 9, 2016 8:37 AM in response to Moofen

I think the easiest is to fill the video track with something from the backgrounds collection as a placeholder. You will then be able to place the audio tracks below it. You can extend its duration as much as needed then replace it later when you have the real video.

When you do replace it don't forget that the audio tracks will be connected to it (vertical green lines) and if you simply delete the video clip the audio will be deleted as well. So you will need to use 'replace' - see: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov42b64e075

Geoff.

Adding audio clip without using video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.