Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac upgrades - which one?

Hi

I have imac OSX 10.5.8. 2.66 GHz Intel Core, 2 GB 800 MHz

I'd like to upgrade so I can get updated applications. Can I get the latest version, i.e El Capitan, or do I have to get the next one and all the ones inbetween? Hope that makes sense. Obviously would like to do the most cost effective method of upgrading.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks 🙂

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 3:07 AM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2016 9:42 AM in response to KAYBEEU

Hi, KAYBEEU.

Thank you for the question! I understand you want to upgrade your iMac to an operating system that will allow you to utilize the Mac App Store. From the system information that you provided, you can at least run Snow Leopard and it is available for purchase via the link below.

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard - Technical Specifications

I would need more information on your hardware to see if you are able to run El Capitan. However, take a look at the link below as it will show you how to check to see if your system will support El Capitan.

Upgrade to OS X El Capitan.

If you are unable to upgrade to El Capitan, there may be other operating systems that your iMac will support. Go through the link below and find out which model iMac you own as I may be able to provide additional solutions with this information.

Identify the model of your iMac

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities.

Cheers

Mac upgrades - which one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.