Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air shuts down at random

My MacBook Air from Mid 2013, running 10.10.2, started to shut down at random. I tried to update the computer to the newest software that is El Caption, but it still kept happening. Then i tried to make a backup from the computer, and deleted and recovered my mac, from a backup from last year when there wasn't any problems, but it still keeps happening.
And I tried to make an Apple Diagnostic, where it wrote that the problem was with a reference code PPT004, which states that the problem is with the battery.

So what do you recon I should do? And do you think if I got a new battery that it would solve the my problem of it shutting down at random?

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 4:37 AM

1 reply

Feb 10, 2016 9:45 AM in response to loco.anse

Hello there, loco.anse.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting and received an error reference code of PPT004. Great job troubleshooting this far, the following Knowledge Base article offers up some great information on what to do when receiving that message:

Apple Diagnostics: Reference codes

Using the reference code table

1. Find the definition of the specific Apple Diagnostics reference code and learn what next steps are needed to troubleshoot the issue.
  2. For issues you cannot resolve, contact Apple or take your computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store to determine which service and support options are available. Be sure to share the Apple Diagnostics reference code with Apple or your service provider. If you plan to visit an Apple Retail Store, make a reservation at the Genius Bar (available in some countries only).
Reference Code Code Definition Next Steps
PPT004 The battery requires service. The battery is not functioning normally, though you may not notice a change in its behavior or the amount of charge it holds. You can continue to use your battery before it’s checked without harming your computer.

Contact Apple or take your computer to an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Retail Store to determine which service and support options are available.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards.

MacBook Air shuts down at random

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.