Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple magic mouse

Does anyone know why the Apple Magic mouse has these plastic gliders that do not glide on the bottom? I cannot understand why something that costs so much is so impractical. It also needs two batteries whilst all the other wireless mouse's that I have owned have one battery. Sure it looks good, but that is hardly the point if it's a drag to use.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), Mid 2011 iMac 21.5

Posted on Feb 9, 2016 5:17 AM

12 replies

Feb 9, 2016 5:39 AM in response to martin from

Depends what you mean by "Do not glide". I have used a magic mouse (in fact three) since 2007. I have no problem with the 'glide' element insofar as it always slides around as I need. I'm wondering what you are using as a mat. I use a piece of black artist's felt (available at any artist's materials store) which is smooth and gives no reflection that would cause problems for the optic. All I need do is brush it once a week.

Can't say anything about the batteries; it's all a question of the design. Perhaps a single battery would have been more difficult to incorporate into the shape.

You should address observations of this nature to Apple Product feedback. They probably won't acknowledge you but we are assured they read all comments.

Feb 9, 2016 11:55 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks. I'll have a look at artists felt. What I mean by glide is that all the mouse's I have owned pre Apple were easy to move and light. The magic mouse is like moving a large stone as, it's a dead weight on flat runners which I feel is a poor design. I use it on a laminate keyboard table but have recently bought a very thin mouse mat, but as the magic mouse is simply heavy for what it needs to be it is not a light mover. For now I have put magic tape on the runners but will probably go for a non Apple mouse in the end as I just want a light responsive mouse rather than something to look at.:)

Feb 12, 2016 10:03 AM in response to seventy one

Went to Hobbycraft shop in Hereford today and bought a 12" x 9" plain black felt (synthetic) for £0.50p which slides around on my computer keyboard table a bit but is a great improvement on the mouse mat that I had already. Of course the other mouse mat I had was perfect with my cheap £4.00 wireless mouse that I was using before going back to my magic mouse so, it's a pity that the magic mouse is the issue really. Just Mobile mouse mats are the other thing that work well with a Magic mouse but they are £30.00 upwards. I think Apple have a lot to answer for. Thanks a lot for your help on this.

apple magic mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.